FRAM explains why they use cardboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

I emailed FRAM and asked them why. Here's the answer I received. By the way, at the end where it says 'thank you for choosing Fram filters', I actually haven't chosen them, but may consider the X2.
tongue.gif

Thank you for the e-mail regarding the construction of Fram oil filters. We welcome the opportunity to be of service.

Fram uses a cardboard material in the construction of it's oil filters. Fram filters meet the requirements of the
original equipment filter designed for a specific engine. Our filter applications follow the recommendations of the
vehicle manufacturer for form, fit, and function. Fram filters follow internally targeted design guidelines to meet the
functional requirements of a given filter. Fram filters are tested against SAE standards to ensure uniform product
quality and performance. Material construction will vary between filter manufacturers. We will not debate opinions,
statements, or studies made by individuals expressed in articles or on websites. We believe Fram filters have a proven
record for providing reliability, superior quality, and engine protection over the service life of the filter. We
welcome the opportunity to enlighten you on the subject of cardboard used in Fram end disk construction.

A common misunderstanding among our customers concerns the end disks in the oil filter. These disks hold the glue which
keeps the pleated media formed into a rigid circular tube. The glue-to-media interface is also one of the sealing
surfaces keeping dirty and filtered oil from mixing. One common myth is that only metal end disks can adequately seal
and have enough strength in the hot oil environment. For this reason, Fram filters are criticized for having cardboard
end disks. The issue is, the material doing the sealing is the adhesive, regardless of the material of the end disk.
What matters is the strength of the adhesive, its proper curing, the thoroughness with which it can be applied to the
disk, and its adhesion to the disk. By using cardboard end disks, Fram filter engineers are able to specify adhesives
with excellent strength and sealing properties, and strong adhesion to the disk (intuitively, it is easy to make a
strong glue bond with cardboard). Moreover, just as paper media itself is able to withstand the hot oil environment, so
too is the end disk designed of fibers engineered to be strong and inert in hot oil. The thickness and strength of the
adhesive also stiffens the end disk considerably.

How do Fram engineers test these end disks to know that they hold up on the job? Not only do they perform hot oil
circulation tests on the filter element, but they also regularly cut open used filters to examine how well they have
withstood the rigors of actual use on a vehicle. For over 38 years, Fram end disks have stood up to hot oil and their
adhesives have sealed off the dirty oil.

We believe that FRAM filters are clearly the best filters available. Fram is committed to standing behind and endorsing
it's products and filter recommendations listed in the current Fram application catalogs. As part of this commitment, if
you should ever have reason to suspect or question the quality of a Fram filter, we encourage you to contact the Fram
Product Evaluation Team toll free at 1-877-250-8361 for further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Fram filters.

Cordially,

Scott Jacobs
Catalog/Technical Service Representative
Catalog/Technical Service Department

They failed to mention that it was the cheapest material one could build a filter out of.
nono.gif

Dan

"We believe that FRAM filters are clearly the best filters available. Fram is committed to standing behind and endorsing
it's products and filter recommendations listed in the current Fram application catalogs."
shocked.gif

Clearly the best filters available? Are you kidding me or what? They need to get their heads out of their a$$ and take a look around. They have the cheapest materials, the smallest holes in the baseplate and centertube, the worst anti-dranback valve, an extremely thin gasket, the lowest amount of filter media, a terribly designed by-pass valve, a center tube that just loosely sits in the media, the list goes on and on....

Best filters available huh? What a joke. They should be sold for a quarter out of those little toy dispensers you see in front of stores.

Using a cheaper material that performs as well as a more expensive one is called "good engineering".

If Frams were as crappy as some of you spout off, do you think Honda would use them as OEM?

quote:

Not only do they perform hot oil
circulation tests on the filter element, but they also regularly cut open used filters to examine how well they have
withstood the rigors of actual use on a vehicle.

Very interesting...they do tests.

Maybe some on this board should do tests. So far, the end caps have not shown to be the weak link everyone around here tries to make them out to be...

At the same time, all companies are going to say thier filters are the best...LOL....they never said cheapest.......
grin.gif

That is pretty much a canned response from Fram. I sent them an email almost a year ago and got the same response from the same guy verbatim. Their oil filters for the money just plain suck. They do however seem to make some decent air filters for some models.

Mopar filters, are made by fram.....so I don't know where the honda thing is coming from. I don't think that a fram oil filter will hurt your vehicle (I used them for years), but for the same price, you can buy a better made filter. There have been cases of the cardboard endcaps on fram filters, coming apart........but mostly on racing vehicles......and they are few and far between. Fram is the top selling filter, so the fact that we don't hear of more cases of filter failure tells the tale. But if cardboard is cheaper and better, then that would be the only matierial used.........but that simply isn't the case. I still won't use them again.

GIVE ME A BREAK
nono.gif
. Some companies make their living off of their past reputation while others make their living off of giving the consumer a good product at a fair price. FRAM obviously is banking on the majority of their customers having ZERO knowledge about actual filter design. If people new that for the exact same price (I am talking about Pep-Boys) they could get the Puralator filter with a far better materials and build it would be no contest!
itschy.gif

I am a FRAM hater!!!!!!
thumbsdown.gif

quote:

Mopar filters, are made by fram.....so I don't know where the honda thing is coming from

Honda USA recently started using Fram made filters for their parts supply. I imagine that they may be using them in the US engine building factories as well.

John

[QUOTMopar filters, are made by fram E] [/QUOTE] No they are made by Purolator. Im confused about the cardboard thing. Cardboard is bad in an oil filter but toilet paper in a gulfcoast/Frantz oil filter is ok?? Well folks i give up. I know people who only use fram and cheap oil. Guess what they get just as many miles out of their vehicles as people who use the "good stuff"
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rcy:
"For over 38 years, Fram end disks have stood up to hot oil and their
adhesives have sealed off the dirty oil."

OK, has FRAM really been using cardboard since 1966? I thought they were supposed to have been good filters up until 2 owners ago...FRAM's had, what, 6 or 7 owners since then? If they've really been using cardboard end caps all this time, then what changed to make them crappy?

Don't yell at me, I used to be a FRAM devotee until a couple of years ago, when all the negative publicity scared me into using nothing but OEM filters. I just want to know specifically what changed...

quote:

One common myth is that only metal end disks can adequately seal
and have enough strength in the hot oil environment. For this reason, Fram filters are criticized for having cardboard
end disks. By using cardboard end disks, Fram filter engineers are able to specify adhesives
with excellent strength and sealing properties, and strong adhesion to the disk (intuitively, it is easy to make a
strong glue bond with cardboard).The thickness and strength of the
adhesive also stiffens the end disk considerably.

OK, you had to know this would draw me here like a magnet. And again, with the question of the day:

If all the above quote is true, then why was it required for the 'much better' X-2 filter to be made with METAL end caps? If the cardboard is as good as the response says, then WHY the change? It shouldn't be the media, as the glue is supposed to be the 'adhesive with excellent strength' and cardboard is 'so easy to glue to'. again, just a question which has seemed to have gone unanswered so far. This is one of the reasons I cannot see the justification in paying $10.00 for a $4.00 filter. Unless, of course, someone shows me why....

I for one am not too upset about the end caps. It is what isn't between them in a Fram that keeps me from ever buying another. I want some media. A better bypass wouldn't hurt either. They are phonies in my opinion. I don't like phonies.

"cardboard has vital anti wear components that are released into the engine. it also cardboard patricles get between your crank and bearings to aid in prevention of metal to metal contact. the metal touches cardboard instead of another metal.
you guys didnt know this? also the string is like dental floss, it comes lose from the filter like the cardboard does, only the string cleans out piston rings like dental floss does for teeth and also gets cought up in your crank main seals to absorb oil and aid in prevention of older seals from leaking.
mansome of you ppl are ignorant to the ways of modern filter technology. i cant believe no one knew this."

LOL I found this on page 31 or 32 or something. Funny stuff. Ohhh good times good times......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back