Fram Endurance vs Purolator Boss oil filters

Endurance all day for efficiency. Most of the BOSS line is 99% @>46um whereas the endurance is 99% @ 20um. the 10575 size was tested by andrew at ascent filtration under the royal purple name. for construction the BOSS is hard to beat. not saying the endurance isn’t a well constructed filter but for a fair comparison.

IMG_5221.jpeg

I've used both the Boss PBL14612 and Fram FE6607 and based on used oil analysis it is a toss-up.

They both sell for about the same money.

On tear-down there is nothing that makes me want more than the other one.

If one is on sale that would be choice.

Endurance all day for efficiency. Most of the BOSS line is 99% @>46um whereas the endurance is 99% @ 20um.
Something I noticed recently about the data sheets that have been floating around lately for Purolator BOSS filters, is that in the fine print on the page margins they all seem to have a date code of 05/2000.

Another thing that indicates that these tests are very old is the fact that they used an oil viscosity of 24 cST, which was the standard test viscosity back in the 1997 version of ISO 4548. The viscosity required for the ISO tests has been 15 cST since the 2000 version of the standard was introduced.

So the 46 micron rating is likely from tests done 24 years ago, and is more in line with Purolator's previous claims of 99% efficiency at 40 micron for the BOSS filters. These days they claim 99% at 25 micron in their marketing, and the Ascent test showed 99% at 34 micron. I think the BOSS filters are probably quite a bit more efficient than 46 micron these days.

Still, the Endurance should be a lot more efficient. Here are some recent microscope pics of filter media, comparing a FRAM Endurance to a WIX XP, which seems to use the same media as the Purolator BOSS:

FRAM Edurance vs Purolator BOSS.jpg

Something I noticed recently about the data sheets that have been floating around lately for Purolator BOSS filters, is that in the fine print on the page margins they all seem to have a date code of 05/2000.

Another thing that indicates that these tests are very old is the fact that they used an oil viscosity of 24 cST, which was the standard test viscosity back in the 1997 version of ISO 4548. The viscosity required for the ISO tests has been 15 cST since the 2000 version of the standard was introduced.

So the 46 micron rating is likely from tests done 24 years ago, and is more in line with Purolator's previous claims of 99% efficiency at 40 micron for the BOSS filters. These days they claim 99% at 25 micron in their marketing, and the Ascent test showed 99% at 34 micron. I think the BOSS filters are probably quite a bit more efficient than 46 micron these days.

Still, the Endurance should be a lot more efficient. Here are some recent microscope pics of filter media, comparing a FRAM Endurance to a WIX XP, which seems to use the same media as the Purolator BOSS:

View attachment 223143
Good information.

View attachment 223143
the boss wasn’t launched until 2015 or 2016 IIRC

Back