Fram EG Toyota cartridges - now Champ made.

The Fram EG/TG cartridges for Toyotas were made in China or Korea. Now, at least the EG ones are now Champ-sourced and made in the US. Essentially the same as a MP9972/10158 and a Champ/Service Champ filter. My local WM didn’t have the tall Tundra/Sequoia/LX570 cartridge nor did they have any TGs.

Looks like First Brands is essentially working on combining the Fram EG/TG lineup into the Champ lineup.

40950113-502E-48B2-8EA7-E045EE8EE37B.jpeg

Imo, it's good to see that the topic application is now in the US and made by Champ Labs. Unfortunately, FB seems to be making changes to OFs in a willy nilly manner. Also, hard to tell if the changes are permanent or perhaps just a temporary change.

Hopefully at some point in the future there will be clearer indication of the direction FB is taking with all their filters, spin on and cartridge. Guess what I'm saying, I can't draw any conclusion about other cartridges from this anecdote. That said, moving other EG/TG cartridges to US production would be a good thing, imo.

Last edited:
Normal for merger acquisitions to bring the companies into a 'collective'.

There is no point in have numerous factories tool up the same PN. Some cost accountants, or software, will probably determine which plant does 'enough volume needed' of 'whatever PN' most efficiently/effectively and goes from there.

One will only have to wonder for 'how long' or if it is only a market dependent, location, economics, shippping, or time based thing.... Could be something as simple as the "shipping container form China was late", available volume is available here, and in demand because of empty shelves, so stick 'em in the Fram box.

I think its great but we won't know if this a permanent since filtration companies are in a state of flux because of the mergers/acquisitions and supply chain

The Fram EG/TG cartridges for Toyotas were made in China or Korea. Now, at least the EG ones are now Champ-sourced and made in the US. ...
Tough Guard 10358 cartridges (for 1.8L Toyotas) all come from China, as far as I've seen. Walmart has alternated between two distinct versions of the Extra Guard 10358, one made in US and constructed similar to the filter in your photo, and another version made in China and constructed like ToughGuards, except the media and end cap color. Super Tech 10358 filters look identical to the US-made Extra Guard, except possibly media material.

I emailed FRAM and asked about them switching the Extra Guards to metal end caps, it has been over a week and no response. I would actually use these if it is a permanent change.

Seems FRAMS website is under maintenance right now, so maybe they are updating the filter pages and we might see something more clear after.

I try to avoid made in China any this if possible which is almost seemingly impossible.

If I'm not mistaken the Royal Purple and Amsoil filters are made by Champion as well? The Royal Purple cartridge filter for my Tacoma 3.5 has metal end caps, and a metal center tube with big rubber o rings. If you buy a TRD filter from a Toyota dealer and a Royal Purple, they are identical except for the color of the o rings on the housing cap and "TRD" markings.
That Fram pictured has more of a cellulose looking media, and no metal center tube as well so I would not say it's the same.....not saying it's a bad filter either but I like something that seals the center tube in the housing, not hard plastic.

Tough Guard 10358 cartridges (for 1.8L Toyotas) all come from China, as far as I've seen. Walmart has alternated between two distinct versions of the Extra Guard 10358, one made in US and constructed similar to the filter in your photo, and another version made in China and constructed like ToughGuards, except the media and end cap color. Super Tech 10358 filters look identical to the US-made Extra Guard, except possibly media material.
Updating the above: Tuesday I looked at 10358 cartridges in Walmart again. Now Tough Guard and Extra Guard versions are both made in Argentina, of all places. The Ultra 10358 is still made in USA, and still has the old metal screen backing.

Back