Fram date codes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run

I got a PH3980 sitting around the shop. It came with a truck purchased last year. I have no idea how long it was sitting behind the seat(Humidity?). I know the box is old because they all state how many miles they are good for. This one does not. I wonder if its even worth running anymore.

The code is C10743. How can I decode this number?

Likely 2011 (could be 2001, but that would be really old):

1 = 2011
074 = Julian calendar date (March 15)
3 = Shift 3

Q: What does the date code mean?
A: The first digit refers to the year and the next three digits refer to the date identified as 1 - 365 days. The last digit refers to the manufacturing shift. For example, A63201 = 2006, 320 day (November 16) and shift one.

FRAM FAQ

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

1 = 2011
3 = Shift 3

A: The first digit refers to the year and the next three digits refer to the date identified as 1 - 365 days. The last digit refers to the manufacturing shift. For example, A63201 = 2006, 320 day (November 16) and shift one.

FRAM FAQ

Thanks. I think this is a good candidate for cut and show. I was thinking if it wasn't too old. I would run it for a short cleaning. Copyright on the cardboard box said 2008 if I recall correctly.

^^^ Printed vs laser etched. The Ultra I'm using right now didn't have a date code ... I looked many times with a strong LED flashlight, and even removed the label. Not anywhere to be found.

Fram makes one filter i would even think of using and its the ultra, Bring it back to wal mart and get a refund or just cut it open and post the pictures

Most likely 2011, in March. As mentioned could be 2001 but I don't think it's that old.

The PH3980 is one of the better orange cans IMO, they are my favorite for our Lumina. Run then cut.

All Area 51 stuff ...
wink.gif

If you aren't turned off by using a filter made of cardboard, then you should be ok with using a filter that is a few years old right?!

crazy.gif

1 = 2011
3 = Shift 3

FRAM FAQ
Thanks for this!! I'm reviving this 6 year old thread. Just received a Fram Ultra Synthetic with the code A11863 today, Aug. 10 from Amazon. This filter was made July 5, 2021? Only 5 weeks ago? Amazon has fresh stock!!

I just received a 6-pack of Fram UltraGuard filters from a Michigan-based Ebay seller for $31.95, shipped ($5.33/filter). Great price. Perhaps too good? When I got the filters I noticed that the clear, circular tape-tabs on the box-lids were badly yellowed and peeling as if they were really old. Then I noticed that the black-grips on the filters were kinda micro-cracked as if they were really old. So I searched the web for how to decipher Fram's date-codes, and I found this thread. Thanks to CarbonSteel's post above, I was able to decipher the (difficult-to-see, exterior-wall-stamped) date code on my filters, "A40991", to the 99th day (April 9th) of 2014. Based on the appearance of these filters, that date seems about right.

There's no rust and the seals seem soft. I think they're made of silicone & synthetic filtration material (both of which last longer than rubber and cellulose). Should I return these 7.25 year old filters which I will use over the next 2 years?

2014 is probably right ... I think that's when it was called the "UltraGuard" instead of just the "Ultra" or "Ultra Synthetic". Got a photo of the box you can upload?

I just received a 6-pack of Fram UltraGuard filters from a Michigan-based Ebay seller for $31.95, shipped ($5.33/filter). Great price. Perhaps too good? When I got the filters I noticed that the clear, circular tape-tabs on the box-lids were badly yellowed and peeling as if they were really old. Then I noticed that the black-grips on the filters were kinda micro-cracked as if they were really old. So I searched the web for how to decipher Fram's date-codes, and I found this thread. Thanks to CarbonSteel's post above, I was able to decipher the (difficult-to-see, exterior-wall-stamped) date code on my filters, "A40991", to the 99th day (April 9th) of 2014. Based on the appearance of these filters, that date seems about right.

There's no rust and the seals seem soft. I think they're made of silicone & synthetic filtration material (both of which last longer than rubber and cellulose). Should I return these 7.25 year old filters which I will use over the next 2 years?
Jay Buckley, when he worked for Fram, said the synthetic media in the Ultra could last indefinitely, as long as the filter was stored in a dry place.

If a topic interests you start a new one.

Responding to a 6 year old topic wastes everyone's time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back