Fram And Dodge/Cummins...

Status
Not open for further replies.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION

It has been brought to our attention that a few DaimlerChrysler service technicians are
recommending that the FRAM PH3976 filter not be used on DaimlerChrysler vehicles with
the Cummins 5.9L Turbo Diesel engine and that use of these filters can cause damage to
the engine. DaimlerChrysler has informed us that they released a Technical Service
Bulletin to their dealerships communicating a potential contamination issue and
recommending the use of Fleetguard manufactured filters.
FRAM has been selling PH3976 filter for this engine application since the engine platform
launch and it has maintained an extremely reliable service record.
Late in 2000, Cummins and DaimlerChrysler brought to our attention a low incidence
failure mode in their Cummins 5.9L Turbo Diesel engine of the piston cooling nozzle
plugging, resulting in engine failure. The plugging was caused by contaminates lodging in
the nozzle. The contaminants included metal chips, calcium carbonate, polyethylene, and
styrene butadiene that are not associated with filter manufacture, and a neoprene
compound, which is used as a sealant on the tapping plate of the filter. There were also
several other engine warranty issues determined unrelated to the piston cooling nozzle
plugging that were part of the engine failure sample.
A small amount of neoprene rubber was used in the FRAM filter as a sealant. Throughout
our investigation with Cummins & DaimlerChrysler on various engine failures, no
conclusive evidence was found to assign cause to filters or other contamination
sources. However, driven to satisfy our customers, the FRAM engineering team made
modifications to the design eliminating the neoprene and expedited development and
manufacturing to release a revised filter model number to PH3976A.
With the design change on the PH3976A completely removing the use of neoprene,
there is absolutely no validity in comments that the Fram filter should not be used
for this application or that it may cause engine failures associated with plugged
nozzles.
The Honeywell Consumer Products Group warranty policy also protects the consumer if it
is determined that a FRAM filter is responsible for damage to an engine due to defects in
design or workmanship.
This information should be openly conveyed to our customers if they have any concerns or
apprehension about using a FRAM filter for this application.

Hmmm...here's the changes they made from the 3976 to the 3976A:

HEAVY DUTY
INFORMATION
BULLETIN

FRAM ANNOUNCES PRODUCT IMPROVEMENTS TO THE PH3976

THE PH3976 WILL BE SUPERCEDED TO THE PH3976A

Several important product
improvements have been made to the
PH3976A:
· The cartridge has been upgraded
to contain a spiral center tube.
· The retainer spring is more robust.
23% thicker and stronger material.
· A plastic centertube seal has been
added between the centertube and
the tapping plate. This
improvement creates a better seal
between the filter cartridge and the
tapping plate

BTW, I just changed the oil on my dads truck (Dodge/Cummins)...want to take a guess on what filter I used??

SuperTech ST3976A (Amazing how this site affects us...I would have NEVER USED a SuperTech before this site
grin.gif
!

Jelly,
You can get Fleetguard filter for decent prices if you shop around.I still know where if you need info.It depends on the year of the Cummins.Thats an expensive engine to replace.
I had one,Too Bad a Dodge comes standard with the Cummins
frown.gif
RichR

quote:

Originally posted by RichR:
Jelly,
You can get Fleetguard filter for decent prices if you shop around.I still know where if you need info.It depends on the year of the Cummins.Thats an expensive engine to replace.
I had one,Too Bad a Dodge comes standard with the Cummins
frown.gif
RichR

Oh, I know Rich...I'm looking to be a diesel, auto, or genset technician (I'm so confused), and I just spent the other day "shadowing" a guy over at the local Cummins dealership, which has many Fleetguard filters layin' around.

I just wanted to try the SuperTech filter though...many on here talk about it like it is a very good filter for a low price, at least comparable to Purolator, Wix, Napa, etc, etc...

Funny thing I noticed though: The SuperTech ST3976A filter was sealed up in plastic wrap (all the ST3976A filters were sealed up as well)!! Guess it at least lets me know that it hasn't been fooled around with(?). Why aren't the other filters wrapped like this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back