Four new TPMS today

This is on my 06 Acura TL. This car shows each psi for the tire in the display. I have owned this car for one year and hand full of times the TPMS warning light would come on. It would disappear when I restarted the car. This last week it’s been coming on every drive, so I knew one of the sensors was bad, the display showed one tire at 58psi and the other 3 at 35psi. I made an appointment at Discount Tire today and decided to have all 4 replaced for $240+tax. I was in and out in 45 minutes. My friend who sold me the car said he replaced 2 of the sensors in the past. He was the second owner. The old sensors had a metal stem but these Schraders have a rubber stem. The units registered all the correct psi about a mile from the shop.

I like the newer type on Honda like my 2021 HRV. Has a normal rubber valve stem...Detects tire issues via the ABS sensor and tire rotation...You also reset it with a simple push of a button on the dash...I think they call it a indirect TPMS...

I like the newer type on Honda like my 2021 HRV. Has a normal rubber valve stem...Detects tire issues via the ABS sensor and tire rotation...You also reset it with a simple push of a button on the dash...I think they call it a indirect TPMS...
True, seems other Honda products have adopted the same tech. Even Volvo has followed suit!
I find this very strange, as I see the TPMS sensor replacement as another way to get folks into the service dept to spend more $$$
:unsure:
That's fine and good.
But he would still need to dismount each tire, change the sensor, remount the tires.
And if anything breaks or the job doesn't go right, he can go back to the vendor.
As mentioned, not bad, not great price.
Exactly.
And for the rest of the time OP owns the car, he can take it back to the vendor for replacements.
For $240 I'd say it's pretty reasonable, as the shop would probably inspect and report other suspension/tire issues as they arise.
🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
What happens if you decide you don’t want to spend $200+ to get new sensors? Have the tire pressure light on the dash all the time?

Just do like we did before this “technology” came out and look at the tires or check your pressure?

I check my air pressure on mine and her car at least every week, if not then every other week

Piece of electric tape, a tire gauge, and a walk around works just fine for me (on the Express). Plus if something is actually wrong with a tire (other than low on air), I’ll actually see it!

My 05 Corvette that I purchased new has never had the TPMS sensors replaced. It is in a heated garage in the winter which helps. My buddy at Discount Tire said I could buy the sensors and they would charge $18 to replace all four sensors if I purchased tires from him which is very fair. I am going to buy some for my Corvette when it needs tires and will replace all the sensors too. The $18 is labor only however I can buy them on Ebay for about $60.00 OTD for four sensors.

What happens if you decide you don’t want to spend $200+ to get new sensors? Have the tire pressure light on the dash all the time?

Just do like we did before this “technology” came out and look at the tires or check your pressure?

I check my air pressure on mine and her car at least every week, if not then every other week
I can check my tire pressure anytime I’m driving by going to a menu option. Or using my TPMS machine on each tire. I don’t need to unscrew the valve caps. I like living in the 21st century.

I purchase the sensors on Amazon, and my local Canadian Tire installs them when I purchase their tires, for a small fee. I tell them not to use their TPMS programmer because my 2008 Burb self learns using air pressure. I just set the mode, drop the air pressure in each corner one at a time. The horn beeps at each corner then two beeps to confirm it’s done. Then I air each back up.The mechanic does not have to waste his time fiddling with the programmer trying to find my TPMS sensors I bring in.

AEAB7F73-78F2-4DEA-85F6-DD773418537E.jpeg

I can check my tire pressure anytime I’m driving by going to a menu option. Or using my TPMS machine on each tire. I don’t need to unscrew the valve caps. I like living in the 21st century.
Well my car doesn’t show the air pressure for the tires. Her 15 Altima does but my 17 Accord doesn’t. And I’m not that lazy where it bothers me to have to unscrew a valve stem cap

Everybody says you can get sensors on Amazon thats fine. Let me tell you this. Discount tire had to replace sensors in my old Hyundai three times because they kept failing, because I bought from them.

The third time they quit using OEM sensors and ordered from Hyundai, and they foot the bill for replacement, mounting and balancing all three times.

I think it was worth 240 bucks.

That’s how all my past VW’s were.

That’s too much work for the average merican, so the gubmint mandated to the manufacturers they had to install them in every car they sold in the US. Just like the rear view cameras that had to be in all cars from 2018 onward. Just more parts that will break or wear out over time that the consumer has to foot the bill.

That’s too much work for the average merican, so the gubmint mandated to the manufacturers they had to install them in every car they sold in the US. Just like the rear view cameras that had to be in all cars from 2018 onward. Just more parts that will break or wear out over time that the consumer has to foot the bill.
When you pick up a nail while on the highway, it will let you know when the pressure drops to a still safe 28 psi so you can reduce your speed accordingly and pull off to a service station. Otherwise, it might drop to 10 psi while you take a curve at 70 mph and possibly flip over.

True, seems other Honda products have adopted the same tech. Even Volvo has followed suit!
I find this very strange, as I see the TPMS sensor replacement as another way to get folks into the service dept to spend more $$$
:unsure:

Exactly.
And for the rest of the time OP owns the car, he can take it back to the vendor for replacements.
For $240 I'd say it's pretty reasonable, as the shop would probably inspect and report other suspension/tire issues as they arise.
🤷‍♂️
Gm had this in the 90 and early 2000s the indirect tpms. The only issues are . Mixmatch tires cause a constant tire light and also rotating causes a light if not recalibrated

Beware...these are undoubtedly Chinese garbage knock-offs. They come from the West Coast, cost half of a normal sensor, and the spelling & grammar in the ad are positively atrocious. The Beijing alarm bells are ringing loudly here.

Made this mistake about two years ago with bargain-priced "Mopar" sensors on eBay, which croaked within about 90 days.

Legitimate Schrader sensors are about 22 bucks each on Rock Auto.

I’ve had good luck on Amazon for vendors that have a few thousand positive reviews, this one with 4-1/2 stars. Price in this case was Canadian dollars: multiply by 0.7. Of the last two sets, ( one set of summers and one set of winters), one set quit at four years but the tires are almost worn out and will need to be replaced next year. I manually reprogram after each seasonal change using air pressure on my Burb. You have to drive away from your garage to get out of range of the tires you just switched, to program the newly installed tires. I’ll check out the Schraders at Rock Auto.

EC65117E-0F8B-4FBA-9541-A1478E07E8B1.jpeg

Back