Found this comment about Simoniz paste wax from Amazon

Is this true or a lie? Or maybe his father applied a Rubbing Compund instead of a Car Wax :LOL:

Quoted on a comment from Amazon:
"My father was a hard core car nut- he actually had to repaint a '62 Ford because he waxed it so much he wore through the paint into the primer"

amazon.jpg

Last edited:
Catcher in the Rye was published in 1951 and even back then - 70+ years ago - the narrator derisively remarks that “Nobody simonizes their car anymore”, or something to that effect.

The stuff definitely isn’t relevant to auto detailing anymore but I hope they’re studying it in marketing school if we’re still talking about it :ROFLMAO:

I have a very old can of Simoniz. It does not compare well at all to, for example, Griot's 3 in 1 spray ceramic. In fact, I'd say it has no value what so ever.
I found an old can in my garage. Very hard to buff off but does the best job protecting my headlights after haze cleanup.

The stuff was HORRIBLE to use. You had to buff hard to get it off. I remember using it way back, it came in the yellow can. The comment is hard to believe but then if he was rubbing hard to remove the wax there could be some truth to it.

If I catch one more boomer asking for the car wash to "Simoniz" the car, I'll puke 🤮
I hold similar contempt for "passing gear" and "hugs the road" 🙄
I think this advertisement says it all

I'm not a detail expert by any stretch of the imagination, but didn't the cleaner/wax become obsolete after base/clear paint finishes became the norm?
1709178270019.jpg

If I catch one more boomer asking for the car wash to "Simoniz" the car, I'll puke 🤮
I hold similar contempt for "passing gear" and "hugs the road" 🙄
I think this advertisement says it all

I'm not a detail expert by any stretch of the imagination, but didn't the cleaner/wax become obsolete after base/clear paint finishes became the norm?
Thank you. You made this boomer chuckle today.
1709226472776.jpeg

The stuff was HORRIBLE to use. You had to buff hard to get it off. I remember using it way back, it came in the yellow can. The comment is hard to believe but then if he was rubbing hard to remove the wax there could be some truth to it.
"hard to believe" ? Did one headlight with it and the other with sealant. The yellow can side stayed clear significantly longer than the sealant side. So...good enuff for me. Ppl like to opine wo actually trying something...

"hard to believe" ? Did one headlight with it and the other with sealant. The yellow can side stayed clear significantly longer than the sealant side. So...good enuff for me. Ppl like to opine wo actually trying something...
Um no...I have tried almost every product made and that crap is bottom of the barrel. Futhermore that Simoniz was the first stuff I ever used when I started detailing cars at a young age 40 yrs ago - I just kept finding better products and still find better products today. The technology keeps improving. That old yellow can might be good for waxing old dressers though.

Um no...I have tried almost every product made and that crap is bottom of the barrel. Futhermore that Simoniz was the first stuff I ever used when I started detailing cars at a young age 40 yrs ago - I just kept finding better products and still find better products today. The technology keeps improving. That old yellow can might be good for waxing old dressers though.
All I can say it worked for me when compared to the new, better, technology improved stuff. Alot of them put their technology into ease of application. That old yellow can carnuba wax is tough as nails. It is used in the most top end waxes so the manufacteuers must not have gottenn the memo about the latest stuff being the best and to listen to you for advise LOL

Last edited:
All I can say it worked for me when compared to the new, better, technology improved stuff. Alot of them put their technology into ease of application. That old yellow can carnuba wax is tough as nails. It is used in the most top end waxes so the manufacteuers must not have gottenn the memo about the latest stuff being the best and to listen to you for advise LOL
Listen, I am not going to go back and forth with you because at the end of the day we are each going to use what we like and that is perfectly ok. I will say that I can agree that, as a Carnauba wax the old school Simoniz did last long but the ease of use is horrible. That is why there are other carnuaba waxes that are just as long lasting but are easier to use.

The last thing I need to address with you is that you addressed me because i do not like the wax having had a lot of past experiences with it but my response was to the POSTER who mentioned a guy has rubbed thru his paint using the old yellow can stuff. MY point was that I can see he rubbed thru his paint because the Simoniz is so hard to remove you have to rub hard. So please explain how a car wax can be so good when you gotta rub so hard to remove it? Again - today's stuff is BETTER in every respect. If you like carnuaba there are better options. My opinion vs yours and, again, it does not matter except to each other. Have a great day and Cheers to you, Sir.

Listen, I am not going to go back and forth with you because at the end of the day we are each going to use what we like and that is perfectly ok. I will say that I can agree that, as a Carnauba wax the old school Simoniz did last long but the ease of use is horrible. That is why there are other carnuaba waxes that are just as long lasting but are easier to use.

The last thing I need to address with you is that you addressed me because i do not like the wax having had a lot of past experiences with it but my response was to the POSTER who mentioned a guy has rubbed thru his paint using the old yellow can stuff. MY point was that I can see he rubbed thru his paint because the Simoniz is so hard to remove you have to rub hard. So please explain how a car wax can be so good when you gotta rub so hard to remove it? Again - today's stuff is BETTER in every respect. If you like carnuaba there are better options. My opinion vs yours and, again, it does not matter except to each other. Have a great day and Cheers to you, Sir.
All good

Back