Formula 1 Oils/lubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe a bit theoretical
grin.gif
, but:

We know Shell sponsors Ferrari, Mobil MB/Maclaren and Castrol BMW/Williams - but what kind of:

a) motor oil do these guys use - really???

b) and in the tranny???

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Maybe a bit theoretical
grin.gif
, but:

We know Shell sponsors Ferrari, Mobil MB/Maclaren and Castrol BMW/Williams - but what kind of:

a) motor oil do these guys use - really???

According to Shell, all Ferrari's are factory filled with Helix Ultra 5w40. The Formula 1 cars use Helix Ultra 15w50.

I've not seen anything from Mobil regarding Formula 1, but they do state that Penske's winning Indy car had OTC 15w50 in it.

As far as Castrol goes...who cares?
lol.gif

This is not quite F1, but when I was at the Toronto Molson Indy a couple years back, Penske's garage area had large drums of Mobil1 5w-30 located throughout. I always wondered why they would care about a 5w oil weight when they could just run a straight 30 weight or higher, especially since it was 100 degrees out that day. Kind of restores my faith in 5w-30 when I see that.

As far as Formula 1 goes, Castrol does imply that their sponsored teams use their oil, I believe it.

I was watching NASCAR Today? There were talking that a lot the teams were using 0W-?? in qualifing runs, the 0W gave them more HP.

JSIR,

The explanation has to do with the way multigrade oils behave under high rates of shear and the effect this has on internal friction/drag.

I'll let you figure rest out for yourself ....

quote:

Originally posted by JSIR:
This is not quite F1, but when I was at the Toronto Molson Indy a couple years back, Penske's garage area had large drums of Mobil1 5w-30 located throughout.

How many drums?... Set dressing.

quote:

As far as Formula 1 goes, Castrol does imply that their sponsored teams use their oil, I believe it.

I also believe they imply it. I have no idea what oil they use though.
wink.gif

Keep a healthy dose of skepticism where race sponsorship is involved. Tony's Indy is monster truck madness without the gravel-voiced announcer. Don't mean to turn to cynicism, but promoters will be promoters. That's in my experience of course.

David

Neo is BS. The only product that any F1 teams use is their axle grease. Seriously, it's good stuff, but that's it. They also make a good tranny lube, if you're looking for a really slippery 75w-90 (it's about as thin a 75w-90 that you'll find).

Guys, everything about Formula 1 is custom produced for each car. I'm 90% sure all lubes are specialty lubes for that engine ... maybe even that race track (elevation, temperature, etc ...).

If the F1 teams use an off-the-shelf oil, it's the ONLY thing off the shelf most of them ever use. I don't believe it.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

Bror- I was thinking that as well - yeah it might be Shell in the "Dominator's" RED car....but custom Shell....

So what do you think is the trick custom blend?

Pablo, look at the way Red Line blends race oils. Ingredients:

1) Lubricant
2) Barrier anti-wear
3) anti-foaming agnets.

That's about it. When Castrol, Shell or Mobil go to make a race oil, they most likely use the same philosophy. No detergents, no dispersants, no pour-point depressants, etc ...

They use materials designed to minimize friction and disipate heat for about 2 hours ... and that's it. I assume they use different weights for qualifying and suspect they have different weights for different tracks and possibly weather conditions.

As for formulas, I assume all are Group IV or V.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Mike:
I was watching NASCAR Today? There were talking that a lot the teams were using 0W-?? in qualifing runs, the 0W gave them more HP.

Yes they are known to run 5w30 (never heard of them using ow30 but it's possible) in qualifying runs because it's only 2-3 laps. As for what they run during the race I'm unsure I hear too many different things. I hear 10w30, 20w50, and a few straight weights mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back