Forgot the magnet!

Rare earth magnets loose their magnetism as they heat up.
If they get too hot they will release a good dose of metal into your trans.......ask me how I know🤪.

I lost a rav4 trans from doing this

Like said, you're at close to 150K miles on the rig. At this point it will live on happily w/out the magnets in the pan.

I wouldn't put magnets on the outside of the pan simply because what happens if the magnet gets knocked off? The potential pile of metal it was holding onto is now free to go where ever it wants.

I think I would just stick a couple of quarter size magnets to the outside of the pan and wait for Spring to show up.
Agree.

My 1991 MB pan didn’t even have magnets. I installed a dimple magnet, it was so strong I couldn’t readily get it to move so I didn’t bother.

6B5BC5EA-1D80-4E11-B01E-5D18E5100CAC.jpeg

That magnet would do just fine on the outside of the pan, IMO. I’d just get the strongest one I could find, put it on the exterior, and wait until next OCI. The transmission is broken in. A super strong magnet or two will cost less than the ATF fill potentially.

BB9F4DF9-48F3-476C-B86B-2532556A104E.jpeg

FWIW. Doubt Toyota put such powerful magnets in there at the factory…

Thanks guys for all the advice. I think I'm going to go with a magnetic drain plug that I found that has the same thread size and pitch as the stock Lexus plug. Of course, I will have to remove that stupid plastic drain tube, or straw, or whatever it's called to get the new plug to fit, but I will make sure to replace the exact amount of fluid that emptied out with the car cold. The standard drain and full method. That stupid straw is only there to do a fluid check and I already did one. I'll probably do another fluid check a little before removing it and replacing the plug just to double check.

Read the thread. If you remove the straw, IT IS NOT THERE ANYMORE FOR THE LEVEL CHECK. So, you can't replace the drain plug with a magnet since the magnet will stay dry because of the straw. If you remove the straw, you will not have a correct level.

As most of the guys say just slap an external one on, or surround the plug with small neodymiums.

If you want better install a magnefine.

Agree.

My 1991 MB pan didn’t even have magnets. I installed a dimple magnet, it was so strong I couldn’t readily get it to move so I didn’t bother.

View attachment 130144

That magnet would do just fine on the outside of the pan, IMO. I’d just get the strongest one I could find, put it on the exterior, and wait until next OCI. The transmission is broken in. A super strong magnet or two will cost less than the ATF fill potentially.

View attachment 130147

FWIW. Doubt Toyota put such powerful magnets in there at the factory…
THANKS for posting this. I just went to the Dimple site, watched a couple of their videos, and proceeded to order 4 of their "black hole magnets." I MAY put a couple of them in my daughter's transmission pan next fluid change...

Rare earth magnets loose their magnetism as they heat up.
If they get too hot they will release a good dose of metal into your trans.......ask me how I know🤪.

I lost a rav4 trans from doing this
There are high temp neodymium magnets that don’t loose their magnetism. They cost a little more

I pull my drain plug at 180-200F and the magnet will grab a socket or wrench pretty hard. So, I am guessing that the major brands are all using higher temp neo magnets. I have used goldplug, dimpleplug, votex, psr.... drainplugs over the years. All work extremely well.

Back