Forged internals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yeah, I have not met a cast rod since the 1950's Pontiacs ... They were common in pre-WW-II world. But went away as power climbed above 100 BHP ...

Other than the Super Dutys, Pontiac V8 used cast rods in almost all engines. (Even the Ram Air 400s used them.)

Correct, most of the Pontiacs, olds, Buick, American motors engines had cast connecting rods even in the 60's and 70's. Chevy in those days were using forged rods 1038 I believe was the alloy

I doubt any vehicle manufacturer these days has a cast rod since they are heavier and more brittle than a PM forged rods which most engines use, boosted or not.

These days a forced induction vehicle will get you a forged crankshaft, my LHU has one. Forged pistons in a factory warrantied production motor, boosted or not is almost unheard of. This is because the clearances needed to make a production engine live through torture testing, both in the lab and suburbia are not conducive to quiet running engines.

Originally Posted By: Tman220
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yeah, I have not met a cast rod since the 1950's Pontiacs ... They were common in pre-WW-II world. But went away as power climbed above 100 BHP ...

Other than the Super Dutys, Pontiac V8 used cast rods in almost all engines. (Even the Ram Air 400s used them.)

Correct, most of the Pontiacs, olds, Buick, American motors engines had cast connecting rods even in the 60's and 70's. Chevy in those days were using forged rods 1038 I believe was the alloy

I doubt any vehicle manufacturer these days has a cast rod since they are heavier and more brittle than a PM forged rods which most engines use, boosted or not.

These days a forced induction vehicle will get you a forged crankshaft, my LHU has one. Forged pistons in a factory warrantied production motor, boosted or not is almost unheard of. This is because the clearances needed to make a production engine live through torture testing, both in the lab and suburbia are not conducive to quiet running engines.

5.0 Mustangs from 1985 to 1992 had TRW forged pistons. So did Ford 2.3 turbo engines.

Chrysler used mostly forged cranks (even on the slant six) until the mid 70s. All big-blocks were forged to 1972, HDs (hi-po or trucks) were to the end in 1978.

The 03-04 Cobras had forged internals. Crankshafts were fully counterweighted forged units from Kellogg, con-rods were Manley H-beam with ARP bolts, and pistons were forged as well. The reman engines had Mahle forged pistons while the productions ones were from another company whose name escapes me at the moment.

5.0 Mustangs from 1985 to 1992 had TRW forged pistons. So did Ford 2.3 turbo engines.

Chrysler used mostly forged cranks (even on the slant six) until the mid 70s. All big-blocks were forged to 1972, HDs (hi-po or trucks) were to the end in 1978.

There were some slight differences between years:

-86 had the flat-top pistons IIRC (though I think they were still forged)
-85, then 87 through 91 had the TRW forged slugs (part numbers are different for 85 and then 87+). Somewhere in 1992 the changeover to the hypereutectic pistons happened
-92-93 for all of 1993 and part of 1992 TRW hypereutectic pistons were used that looked very similar to the previous forged version

All of them had the forged i-beam rods and I believe forged cranks (could be wrong on that last one)

Rotating assembly was hand balanced as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back