Ford Synthetic Blend 5-20 oil for Hondas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning,

I have a 2003 Honda CRV with 146,000 miles. I do my oil changes Ford Synthetic blend oil with Honda filters. The Ford oil is really clear when I pour it out of the jug. I've been think about switching to the Costco full synthetic oil or maybe Valvoline full synthetic high mileage oil. My car uses oil. When I first change the oil, for the first 1,000 miles, there is no oil usage, the dipstick is full. However as the oil get older, it start disappearing, not sure if it's burning or what. I'm the original owner and never had a problem till around 75,000 miles when I started to notice I needed to add oil every so often. My mechanic just tells me to add oil when it's low. The car is too old to diagnose or fix the problem.

The rings are gummed up or have lost tension, which is really common on K24 Honda's. Especially the older ones. You can try a piston soak or one of the engine cleaner products (e.g. Valvoline Premium Blue Restore or HPL's Engine Cleaner), but I would not expect any miracles.

I didn’t read that anywhere in his post but perhaps you’re correct. He said his car was too old, not him.
From his last sentence, it sounded like his mechanic felt the car was too old to fix or diagnose. But perhaps the OP is not in agreement with this mechanic?

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W20 was FAR worse for burning oil in my company Transit (Ford Premium Care made us go to the dealer for oil changes) than the Valvoline Maxlife I started using at around 80K when I was able to let VIOC do it. It burned MC at least twice as fast! Granted, the engine in that Transit burned oil from day one (rod bearings were always noisy at higher RPM), but Maxlife would be worth a try before busting out the old parts cannon on a beater! Also, I would stick with regular red bottle Maxlife, and move up to 5W30 if 5W20 doesn't slow down the burning enough, along with the obligatory PCV valve replacement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back