Ford switched manufacturers & design for FL-2005 oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old FL-2005 oil filters came in a nice red box and were made in the USA. Looking down the main hole in the base, you could see some sort of metal plate (bypass).

The new ones come in a plain white box and are made in South Africa. Looking down the main hole in the base you can see a coiled spring.

I am curious what other differences there might be inside or why Ford switched to a South African manufacturer. I live in Canada and that seems like an awfully long way to go to get an oil filter.

I don't know if this means all the filters are being switched over, or just this one which is used for the 2.0 litre DOHC 16v zetec engines.

patriot.gif
canada.gif

I don't know. As recent as this morning, all of my local parts carriers still have the same style as always (I use that same filter for my '03 Focus ZTS). Maybe it's just something in Canada?
dunno.gif
I would find it hard to believe Ford would outsource for just one specific application, unless their entire filter line is being switched, which I find harder to believe. Have you confirmed this at various parts stores, or is it possible this was a freak mix-up?

Did you see that "plain white box" FL2005 at a store or the dealer? If this was at a store then I'd say it's a knock off and not the real thing. Ask a Ford dealer near you whether these filters now come from South Africa. Just as a side note my 1996 2.0L DOHC Zetec motor uses a FL200 oil filter. This is much larger than the FL2005's I see in Walmart. In fact it's almost identical in dimensions to the FL820S Ford uses in it's V-8's. The downside to being larger is it's a major b**ch to try to get past the suspension pieces after you loosened it without taking the tire off
mad.gif

Whimsey

Whimsey, I bought this from the parts department of a SVT Dealership! Markville Ford in Markham, Ontario.

Not a freak mixup because, the box and filter does say FL-2005 on it. But it's from South Africa.. The only thing I can think of is:

1) They ran out of the american stock, so had to import some in a big hurry and south africa was the closest that had extra inventory.
2) They are switching and will start showing up as the old ones get bought and rotated out of inventory chains. The question is, what is a better design, the metal plate, or the coiled spring?

I'm in the mood to tear one apart. Someone please tell me how to tear one apart and what tools I need.

Whimsey, I had no idea they ever specced larger size filters for the Zetecs. I don't have to take the wheel off, but underneath the car is the only way I can get the fl-2005s on, there is a hole you can fit your arm through. I wonder if there is any advantage to using a FL-200 over a FL-2005. If you have to take the wheel off, I think you should stop using the FL-200. Too much trouble. I looked up your car, the Contour, and newer Contours use the FL-2005.

The sizes don't seem that different btw.

fl-200 NAPA brand
Attributes: Oil Filter (Gold)
Style: Spin-On Lube
Height (Inches): 4.338''
Height (mm): 110.19mm
O.D. (Inches): 3.66''
O.D. (mm): 92.96mm
Thread Size (inches): 3/4-16
Gasket O.D. (Inches): 2.834''
Gasket I.D. (Inches): 2.462''
Gasket I.D. (mm): 62.535mm
Type of Packaging: Box

fl-2005 NAPA brand
Attributes: Oil Filter (Gold)
Style: Spin-On Lube
Height (Inches): 4.704''
Height (mm): 119.48mm
O.D. (Inches): 2.983''
O.D. (mm): 75.77mm
Thread Size (inches): 3/4-16
Gasket O.D. (Inches): 2.75''
Gasket I.D. (Inches): 2.4''
Gasket I.D. (mm): 60.96mm
Type of Packaging: Box

The difference between the FL-2005 and FL-400S (and FL-200 I assume, but not positive) is that the FL-2005 has TWO bypass valves in it. Why? I have no idea. A few months ago, I called Mobil, since I was interested in using their filter, but they don't have an application listed for my car. They sent me to their tech (at Champion labs)who told me Ford requires the two valves to make certain oil will be able to get to the top part of the engine. I don't know if I quite understand that extreme caution, but that is what I was told. What sucks most about this filter is their is no way to pre-fill it when doing an oil change - the bypass valve prevents the new oil from being poured into the filter. Ford is so worried about making sure the Zetec gets oil, whether it gets filtered or not, but then they make it impossible to prevent a dry start after an oil change. Go figure.
confused.gif

Then again, maybe that's why they made the change...

[ December 02, 2003, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

I would like to mention that if this filter does come from South Africa then it is most likely made by a company named GUD. GUD makes a very high quality filter and is known quite well throughout the rest of the world as a OEM supplier to many diesel manufacturers and also to BMW automobiles (for the S. African products of course).

GUD was originally tied to a Australian company but at some point in time they did a complete spin-off and were on their own. They are now partnered with Mann-Hummel of Germany which, in my very humble opinion, makes the best filters in the world.

If this Ford filter is now made by G.U.D. then the quality should not be a concern at all.

Technarch, Thanks for your clarification of the filter sizes. I was at Walmart when I looked at the FL2005 and thought it looked a lot smaller but I guess not much more than .70 of an inch in length less and wider by .30 of an inch than the FL200 equivalents at NAPA. But I wonder whether the Motorcraft filter originals are the same size as the NAPA ones. It was probably due to
cheers.gif
depravation while Mikep and I perused Walmart's auto section before we went to Shakey Jakes for some adult refreshments
grin.gif
. ZiTS, I think Ford went to the FL2005 on the 2.0 Zetec engine after they went to the "variable valve or cam" setup for Zetec engine, sometime in '97 or '98. I believe the FL200 filter caused problems with the revised Zetec engines so they came out with the new style filter that aided in building oil pressure needed for the variable valve or cam function to work properly.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back