Ford Ranger Transmission Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son is in the military and while gone I took his 2005 Ford Ranger to a Ford Dealership because the 4 speed automatic transmission was shifting like something was wrong with it.

Starting out on a cold morning, the RPMS at 55 MPH would be around 3,000 for about 5 miles and then it would gradually settle in the 1,800 RPM range at 55 MPH. At other times, the vehicle would shudder when the overdrive kicked in. Other times there would be an abrupt shift from 1st to 2nd.

This vehicle was purchased by my son used, but it has a drivetrain warranty from Fidelity. We had used this warranty in the past for a rear main bearing seal leak and Fidelity and the dealer were a pleasure to work with! My point of this being the dealership will be paid for repairs from Fidelity, not me.

The diagnosis is a failed torque converter. Now I don't know much about torque converters so my Question is: Can they fail? and if is has failed, how do you know without tearing down the transmission?

The dealership tells me that Fidelity will send an adjuster, but they will not remove the transmission until they get authorization to do the repair.

Any opinions on whether this sounds like a torque converter problem or not?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sounds like the torque convertor clutch is not doing its thing. Or it's doing its thing but is so different from when it's unlocked, and the TC is slipping more than it's supposed to. The shudder is typical for Fords and they need just the right fluid to keep it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back