Ford pigtail catalog

If you do some research you can find the manufacturer, buy the connector and terminals from an electronics supply store and make it yourself for a couple of dollars vs. $50 or $80 from Ford.

I agree with you in regards to making it yourself. I have a large, national client that has trucks from Terex, Kenworth..etc and they prefer to get primary wire in bulk from me to make harnesses along with the necessary weather pack/deutche connectors. Add in some split loom and boom.

The local dealer gave me one of these catalogs when I was looking to replace the pigtail to the left rear backup sensor on my F150. It was a lot easier than trying to repin a plug.

Where do you find this information?

Look at the connector itself to identify the manufacturer, then go to Mouser Electronic's website www.mouser.com and search for connector shells from that manufacturer with the appropriate number of cavities.

Ford uses some connectors from EPC which as of now are not available from Mouser or any other distributor in reasonable quantities. They also use some connectors from Yazaki which are the same way. But they do use a lot of Aptiv (was Delphi) and AMP (Tyco) connectors which are available in small quantities.

Last edited:
Where do you find this information?
Not easy but searching online pays off. This connector was like $2

IMG_1983.JPG

and the terminals around 8 cents

IMG_6118.JPG

Much simpler than any pigtail and crimp connectors.

I had a 1988 E-150 Club Wagon that needed a stop/tail light socket. My father used to keep a few of these bagged Ford parts on the shelf. Didn't have any this time.

I go to the local dealership and the part is out of stock, but the counter guy hands me a piece of paper with the part number. I drive south on El Camino Real and hit every Ford/Lincoln-Mercury dealership from Mountain View to San Jose. Nothing.

Since I'm in San Jose, I go to Mission Valley Ford, a commercial Ford Truck dealership. Surely, they would have what I'm looking for. I hand the guy the piece of paper and he goes in the back and brings back a large box and pulls out this long section of wiring harness.

"That's not it. I'm looking for those bagged 1157 bulb sockets"
"Ford stopped using those in 1986."

😒

I have both the Ford and GM pigtail catalogs on hand at the shop. Along with those, I keep all my old wiring harness's just in case I need pins or the like.

Sure, the OE pigtails are expensive, however they come with crimp terminals and weatherproof heat shrink to complete the job. Worth it in my mind.

Sure, the OE pigtails are expensive, however they come with crimp terminals and weatherproof heat shrink to complete the job. Worth it in my mind.

Those aren't very expensive. I can get a couple of feet of weatherproof heat shrink for a few bucks, and the crimp terminals are around $15 or so for a 100 pack.

Pigtails and connectors are very expensive if you can find them online so I went to a local junkyard, snipped the wires and had a pigtail for 6 dollars. Took about 30 minutes of searching for just the exact wiring of the connector so I wouldn't have to fiddle with tiny tools and connectors

Pigtails and connectors are very expensive if you can find them online so I went to a local junkyard, snipped the wires and had a pigtail for 6 dollars. Took about 30 minutes of searching for just the exact wiring of the connector so I wouldn't have to fiddle with tiny tools and connectors

I completely agree. If it were my personal vehicle, I'd do just this.

However: in the repair industry time is money. If I have a car come in with a burned pigtail, I need a replacement ASAP. The pick n' pull isn't an option.

connectors are more compact and less backprobe friendly than ever before. hacks and even non-hacks find new and exciting ways to break them every day.

99% of shops are calling the dealership parts department for late model stuff. they certainly have the edge over the parts store and the margin is probably great

connectors are more compact and less backprobe friendly than ever before. hacks and even non-hacks find new and exciting ways to break them every day.

99% of shops are calling the dealership parts department for late model stuff. they certainly have the edge over the parts store and the margin is probably great
Problem is auto manufacturers discontinue the harnesses and connectors. GM discontinued producing the wiring harness for my door windows and I havea 2011 Sierra. That's why aftermarket connectors are so absurdedly expensive cause the car makers discontinue making crap for 10 year old vehicles. Dorman, the king of **** parts, wanted a 100 dollars for a universal 10 pin pigtail so I clipped one off a Tahoe in a junkyard for 6. Took me 30 minutes to find the connector with the right placement of wires so I wouldn't have to play moving them around in the plastic connector

Back