Ford on target to retake #2 position..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Ford should end the year as the nations #2 manufacturer of vehicles.

"Ford Motor Co. is on track to recover its No. 2 sales ranking in the United States, supplanting Toyota Motor Corp. after achieving its biggest one-year gain in market share since the 1980s.

Ford has increased its U.S. auto sales at nearly double the market's growth rate, boosting its share to 16.4 percent, from 15.3 percent last year and 14.2 percent in 2008, said George Pipas, the company's market analyst."

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101221/...2-sales-ranking

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
that's what happens when you increase the quality of your automobiles

So true.
It also helps that most of them are also excellent looking minus only a couple.

Now if they can truly be a US-made (and Canada may be acceptable but NOT Mexico) manufacturer...

Remember that Ford was in the same position back in the late 80s / early 90s. That's when Jack "the knife" Nasser came in and slashed costs, helping the executives cash in on Ford's good reputation until the company's name was dragged down in the mud and "Quality is Job One" became a joke.

Let's hope this doesn't happen again. It took a long time for Ford to build up this good reputation.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
They should rightfully be number 1. If GM had gone through a proper bankruptcy Ford would be the rightful number 1.

At this rate, they will be #1 within two years.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Let's hope this doesn't happen again. It took a long time for Ford to build up this good reputation.

Yep. As Henry Ford himself said: "You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." Ford has done what it's needed to do, while at the same time, others haven't done what they've needed to do. The results, so far, are predictable.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Now if they can truly be a US-made (and Canada may be acceptable but NOT Mexico) manufacturer...

What is wrong with Mexico in relation to Canada/US? Is it a perception of differing quality or something else? Just curious.

Seems like most would be either pro US only or US/Canada/Mexico?

I think Ford's reputation was helped that GM had to go into bankruptcy and it did not. I also think Ford is doing a good job of creating the perception that it has higher quality than others, just like Toyota did and now Hyundai and Kia. Of course I think Ford has improved the most but they need the most improvement IMO. I'd just like to see good products that aren't as Mazda based. I think rooting against GM and for Ford makes no sense. I'm rooting for both, and as it stands I think GM #1 and Ford #2 is the right order lol. In the future I may consider Ford #1.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

What is wrong with Mexico in relation to Canada/US? Is it a perception of differing quality or something else? Just curious.

Seems like most would be either pro US only or US/Canada/Mexico?

Besides the problem that fundamentally so much bad comes through/from Mexico (drugs, murders, most illegals), their labor costs are FAR lower and their environmental regulations are much poorer than the US and Canada.

Really I am pro-US, but Canada is for all intents and purposes an extension of the US, and unless someone proves otherwise with real data, has more or less the same labor costs, etc.

I dont like when products are made offshore and the costs are the same as US-made or first world made stuff. VWs are a prime example, the golf (German made) shares the price structure with the Jetta (Mexican made). Do the mexican sales subsidize the (surely) more expensive German-made product? Maybe, but my guess is that it is just pure profit.

Maybe there is substantial data to prove me wrong...

+1
Originally Posted By: M1Accord
Go Ford, the only American car company left.

+1
Originally Posted By: mechanix
In the future I may consider Ford #1.

Oh boy, your coming around!
grin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think Ford's reputation was helped that GM had to go into bankruptcy and it did not. I also think Ford is doing a good job of creating the perception that it has higher quality than others, just like Toyota did and now Hyundai and Kia. Of course I think Ford has improved the most but they need the most improvement IMO. I'd just like to see good products that aren't as Mazda based. I think rooting against GM and for Ford makes no sense. I'm rooting for both, and as it stands I think GM #1 and Ford #2 is the right order lol. In the future I may consider Ford #1.

That's a pretty nice response coming from you
wink.gif

ive been a ford man for yrs, i even have a 72 f100 2wd w 390. and ive gotta say im PROUD! Ford is more of a family company, theyve seen hard times and weathered the storm! They are a true testimony of what hard work and preseveience can do and pay off in america! again, im PROUD!!! Buy american=buy FORD

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

Is there still a relationship between the two (Ford and Mazda)? I know ford used a lot of Mazda engines in the past, but I thought this had stopped - but I may be wrong there.

-Spyder

I was so pleased with a 2010 Ford Fusion rental that I'm seriously considering adding a Lincoln MKZ Hybrid to our stable of Toyota's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back