Ford OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been beat to death here before, But what it the opinion on Fords OLM. I just bought a 2012 Fusion Sport with the 3.5L V6, 19K miles. Reading the manual it says to change oil based on the monitor. Just wondering how accurate it is.

I have a 2014 Explorer with the 3.5L and I have been wondering the same. I have about 3K on this OC and it is showing about 77% life remaining. I am theorizing that it should go to 10K, but I have to wait a while to see.

The Ford IOLM has the capability to go well beyond 10,000 miles if your driving patterns fit certain criteria (all or mostly highway). It could also be less, I believe. Our percentage remaining meter almost always coincides with a 10,000 mile OCI with 0% left. I don't know if this is a default setting for people like us who do short trips often, or if our driving pattern just happens to work out to a calculated ~10,000 mile OCI. Time doesn't affect it much either, since depending on time of year, we drive the car more than others and rack up miles quickly.

I think it may be more a matter of trust in their engineering.
My 2014 Dodge does not even show % of oil life, it will just go off when it's ready for a change. I'm at about 900 miles, so still waiting.

Are you sure it's not just set intervals? My parents' 2013 focuscape has soemthing that alerts you at 5000 miles - but you set 5000, 7500 or 10000

I would say it's pretty accurate. My 5.0L F150 is down to 41% and started at 45% this morning before towing home my Father in laws Supercharged Buick (head gasket...*sigh*) from New Hampshire.

I have a 2013 Mustang, driving conditions is a lot of highway and rural road driving. The OLM definitely does take me to the 10,000 mile OCI. Thing is, I don't do enough city driving to really tell if it can read any different or drop the percentage faster. I don't drive it easy either, yet the OLM still goes to 10k, but I change it at 7k or 8k with Pennzoil Ultra.

My 09 F150 5.4L OLM is on a 6 month timer, or 7500 miles, whichever comes first.

My UOA results show that I can easily go double what the OLM requires, with my driving style. (not that many miles since I now own an aircraft)

We have an '14 Escape that I am using the IOLM, current mileage is 7,250 mi. and I just checked it, 31% remaining. My intention is to run it down to below 5% before changing.

Its the 2.0 and the power and ride is great, no complaints.

My dad has one in his truck and it said to change at about 5000 miles. The truck is short tripped to death with the possible exception of about 100 highway miles both ways on weekends.

You will need to run a vehicle health report, the mileage reminders are just that, reminders. The IOLM reads in percentage remaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back