Ford Oil Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I have wondered about for a while...why do ford engines have so much more oil capacity than other engines?

I worked at the counter of a Wal-Mart Lube shop for a couple of years, and I noticed that Ford engines always took more oil to fill. An example is the popular GM 2.8/3.1 V-6 takes about 4.4 litres to fill, while a Ford Zetec 2.0 takes 5.6 litres to fill, and the 2.5 V-6 takes 6.2!

I know the GM engines are OHV engines, and the Fords are DOHC engines, but that doesn't entirely explain it, because a Toyota 2.2 DOHC 4 only takes about 4.4 litres to fill, if memory serves me correct.

Is this just a design choice, or are ford engines that weak that they need all this extra oil to keep going? BTW, I'm not a Ford basher - have never owned one, but think they are fine cars...my buddies ZX2 has been an amazingly reliable car....

There's an oil change interval formula that takes into account oil capacity, displacement, and horsepower.

I ran it on both my V6 Contour (6 quarts) and my Mustang 5.0 (5 quarts) and the resulting figure is so close that I don't think it's a coincidence.

The new GM 2.2L Ecotec takes 5 quarts, by the way.

The capacity you state for the 2.5L V6 seems high..6.2 liters is 6.55 quarts. The manual for mine actually specifies 5.8 quarts but I put all 6 in, plus I believe the prior year's manual specified 6 quarts.

quote:

Originally posted by hone eagle:

Kudoes to ford engineers

Concur!
cheers.gif

I suppose this is the same philosophy that led to designing the Series 385 engines (370/429/460) with long connecting rods for an excellent rod-stroke ratio, which leads to longer engine life...

quote:

Originally posted by addyguy:

I worked at the counter of a Wal-Mart Lube shop for a couple of years, and I noticed that Ford engines always took more oil to fill. An example is the popular GM 2.8/3.1 V-6 takes about 4.4 litres to fill, while a Ford Zetec 2.0 takes 5.6 litres to fill, and the 2.5 V-6 takes 6.2!

I have a 1996 Contour with the 2.0L 4 cylinder Zetec engine and it takes 4.5 quarts/with filter to bring it to the full line. And that's what Ford spec's in the owner's manual. 5.6 litres is serious overfilling for this engine
shocked.gif
! I wouldn't do it
rolleyes.gif
!

Whimsey

tom slick

Member # 1550

posted 20 September, 2005 09:32
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe my new 4.6l ford takes 7.5 qts. that's quite a bit more than the 4 qts i'm used to.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 1136 | From: central coast, calif | Registered: May 2003 | IP: Logged |

What is the OCI recommendation from the factory?

Mercedes has even more oil capacity for their engines. My 3.2L straight six takes 7.5 quarts per oil change. The popular modern 3.2L V6 takes 8 quarts.

If you follow the sludging problem with some engines, much of it is related to low oil sump capacities.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
I believe my new 4.6l ford takes 7.5 qts. that's quite a bit more than the 4 qts i'm used to.

I beleive the 4.6 takes 6 qts unless they changed it in the last year.

quote:

Originally posted by tmorris1:

I beleive the 4.6 takes 6 qts unless they changed it in the last year. [/QB][/QUOTE]

you are correct it is 6 qts, 7 qts for the 5.4l. OCI for normal driving is 5k, 3k for severe.

my mazda takes 3.5 qts and it recomends an OCI of 5k severe and 7500 normal.

i drive the textbook definition of normal.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:

I beleive the 4.6 takes 6 qts unless they changed it in the last year

When did this happen? all my 4.6's take 5 quarts.

offtopic.gif

Just wanted to post my oil capacities

92 Mits mirage 1.5L 3.2 quarts
96 Pontiac sunfire 2.2 L 4 qts
03 Nissan Sentra 1.8 L 2 7/8 qts

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
offtopic.gif

Just wanted to post my oil capacities

92 Mits mirage 1.5L 3.2 quarts
96 Pontiac sunfire 2.2 L 4 qts
03 Nissan Sentra 1.8 L 2 7/8 qts

Wow, a 1.8L engine with less than 3 qt capacity. I thought my 88 Civic with its 3.7 qt capacity was stingy. I'd really think twice about long OCI on that engine.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back