Ford Easy Fuel

So my 2011 F150 with the "easy fuel" filler neck is throwing a couple of evap codes (p0455 and p1450). The purge valve seems to be functioning well, though I haven't tested the canister solenoid yet. I did the "funnel bang" about 5k miles ago but codes keep coming back. Are these easy fuel filler necks known for evap leaks? Is it worth it to just replace or do I need to cobble together a smoker? Finally, is anybody aware of a drop in replacement with normal style gas cap to eliminate this issue in the future?

buck91 Are these easy fuel filler necks known for evap leaks? [/quote said:
yes.
I had to clear the codes for my uncle at least weekly for the last few months he had his 2013 MKX(154k mi, replaced it with a new Nautilus)

there was a design change that supposedly fixed it... my 2013 C-max has the updated part, no problems so far...

his '13 Lincoln had the old part, my '13 Ford has the new...go figure...

Last edited:
I remember dealing with these on rental cars. Can't understand why Ford decided to ditch a $10 replacable gas cap for this thing.

Originally Posted by buck91
So my 2011 F150 with the "easy fuel" filler neck is throwing a couple of evap codes (p0455 and p1450). The purge valve seems to be functioning well, though I haven't tested the canister solenoid yet. I did the "funnel bang" about 5k miles ago but codes keep coming back. Are these easy fuel filler necks known for evap leaks? Is it worth it to just replace or do I need to cobble together a smoker? Finally, is anybody aware of a drop in replacement with normal style gas cap to eliminate this issue in the future?

Go to you tube . Search for South Main Auto . Pretty sure I have watched Eric O. replace that , in one of his videos ?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by buck91

Go to you tube . Search for South Main Auto . Pretty sure I have watched Eric O. replace that , in one of his videos ?

These frequently seem to dribble a bit of fuel on the ground as you remove the filler-nozzle from the vehicle (it comes from behind the rear quarter panel and seems to be part of some sort of overflow system).
Given that a loose cap (which can't let that much fuel vapor out) trips a code I can't see this design doing much to reduce fuel evaporating into the atmosphere when it's dribbling a few drops to (I'd estimate) a 1/2 oz on the ground every fill up.

It's a solution in search of a problem. Ford tried and indicator-stalk design that was a similar "improvement" a few years ago. It would return to center after you activated the indicators instead of staying up or down. It worked fine if you activated the indicators to turn and they self-canceled but if you were changing lanes and went a bit past the lane-change position into the indicating to turn position then you'd inevitably indicate the other way when trying to cancel them then back again trying to cancel that until you finally you got it right. They stopped using that design on later models so they seem to have learned their lesson on that.

not just ford, my 2019 cherokee has one.. its a PITA and IMO the worst "solution in search of a problem."

I regularly dump in gas from cans.. cant use the boat style shaker siphon now.. I have to pour into funnel..
at least I found a funnel that stays in and doesnt eject like booster seat on knight rider in the middle of pouring gas.

I recently sold my 2015 Focus. Biggest thing I miss on it is the cap less filler. Loved it.

I had zero issues.

I recently sold my 2015 Focus. Biggest thing I miss on it is the cap less filler. Loved it.
I had zero issues.
First time I tried to put some gas in my new jeep I had to cut the shaker hose and insert the rod from a flexi mirror to release the flap that had it in the chinese finger torture grip (it wasnt coming out)

I end up with 30 gal of gas free frequently.. so not using free gas isnt an option.
IMG_20200710_204722700.jpg

OTOH if the capless filler is the biggest thing you miss from the focus.. what car do you have now.. I did really like the handling and pep of my 2007 focus with the duratec 2.3 and manual transmission.. handled like a golf cart on rails with some proper tires.

My ford has a specific funnel behind the seat to work with the cap for gas can use. A little over-engineered?

Back