Ford Differential + Trans Fluid Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

e40

I'm tooling up for axle and trans fluid changes on my '06 Explorer V8 this weekend.

Here's what I have so far:

6R60 Trans : Motorcraft Mercon SP, trans filter, gasket.
Front Differential : Valvoline High Performance 80W-90 (Has 'limited slip' label on it)
Transfer Case : Motorcraft XL-12 Transfer Case Fluid
Rear Differential : Supertech 75w140 Synthetic

I'm wondering if the lubes I chose for the axles are OK. I have rear axle code 45 which indicates it's not limited slip, however most of the synthetic gear lubes have limited slip additives. A quick check to the Ford axle lube chart indicates no need for friction modifiers either. So I guess I'm wondering if I should return the gear lube I have. I have to go back to the FLAPS for grey permatex anyway.

You tow with it? If not A 140 would be like driving a Saleen in a school zone. No point.

Fluids look OK, except swap the SuperTech for 75W-90 synthetic to help with Minnesota winters - providing you're not towing.

I ended up changing the transfer case, and rear axle lubes. Fluids looked and smelled OK to me.

I did not get to the trans fluid change, when I took the fill plug off, I found that the little plastic dipstick was broken. So I'll need to order a new one. I'll also change the front diff lube when it's back on the lift for the trans fluid job..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back