Ford 5W/20 Synthetic Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has an 04 Explorer with about 22K on the clock. We have changed every 3K and used the Ford Synthetic blend. I recently started using Shaeffers 9000 in my diesel. I am wondering if Shaeffers is a better oil for her gas burner and if I could safely extend the oil changes.

MoCraft Blend is excellent for 5k mile OCI's, especially with MoCraft filters.

UOA's here support this.

If you are looking for over 5k mile OCI's, then check into Shaeffers.

I use MoCraft 5-20 blend w/ FL820S filter for 5k mile OCI's on my '01 GMarq 4.6.

Welcome to the forum!

Look at the used oil analysis for the Motorcraft oil. It does a really nice job for not a lot of money. The used oil data is what turned me from "that crap's too thin" into a Motorcraft 5w20 user.

fish4bass, use the search function on the UOA section and see for your self how MC 5W20 performs. I’ve switched from M1 to MC 5W20 in our Mazda6i 2.3L and will run it in our new F-150 5.4L very soon with it's first OCI. Use the MC filters and you can’t go wrong. IMHO believe the MC 5W20 oil and Ford engines were designed for each other.

I too use MC 5W-20 in my 89 Honda and 03 Sable. I also use Shaeffers 9000 5W-40 in my 05 PSD. I think the 9000 is a thin 5W-40. The only thing 9000 might hurt is your MPG in the Explorer.

It would be hard to find any oil better than MC 5W-20 for a gasser and Shaeffers 9000 5W-40 for a diesel.

If you were to make to your own brew on a 6 quart pan would you mix 1 quart or 2 quarts to the dino mix to make the blend?Its on a 05 4.6 Crown Vic.

Thanks in advance.

I've been using WIX filters on my Mazda3 2.3L (I converted from the cartridge filter to the spin-on filter). I've always been impressed w/the WIX filters but people keep talkin about how good the Motorcrafts are. Could they possibly be better than WIX?

BLUE99> Every ounce in awhile [not often]i go to the quick lube place i trust and they carry Castrol so i was woudering how much to mix with the dino with a 6 quart pan because they charge 45 bucks for a change using their syn-blend>when if i bring my brew its only 25 bucks.Every ounce in awhile i'm really short on time but need to get it changed fast.

Miami - Evidently you are planning on using Castrol Syntec for the Grp III component.

2 quarts Syntec 5W-20 mixed with 4 quarts Castrol GTX 5W-20 would give you a 33% synthetic home brew.

I'm assuming you are trying to stay in the 5W-20 viscosity range.
smile.gif

Motorcrafts sell real cheap at Walmart.
A terrific value at those prices.

[ January 01, 2006, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: vad ]

Yes, it's a great deal for a quality filter. So is MC 5w-20. I love the stuff and insisted that my daughter, a short trip driver, use it on her 91 Vulcan in her Taurus. She's had stellar results from an engine that used to consume oil by the hour of operation. I use in in my minivan just for the fun of it. I was trying to "burn it up" during the summer ..but it never occured. It just didn't quit on me. Great stuff. I think that it's good for anything that spec's a 20 or 30 weight. The only question would be the length of service.

quote:

Yes great info Darkdan.But what do you use?

I have a small stock pile of Motorcraft FL820S filters for my truck/vic, my dad's truck and a few Supertech and PureOnes for my Aspire. Once those are gone it's time for AMSOIL's new EA oil filters.

I offered Grease is the Word a few filters to test them for his study, but he's currently too busy. =(

Anyone know if this oil has been retroactively recommended for the 1.6L Mazda DOHC in the 99-01 Protege. I understand Ford did this for their line and since they have a controlling interest in Mazda, am wondering if they also did this for those vehicles also.

Ok.Thanks Darkdan.Also thanks for all that usefull information for sure.You always go out of your way to help people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back