Ford 351W / Valvoline VR1 Racing 20W50 / 48 hours - Tin/Cadmium?

This is in a inboard ski boat. Engine is a Ford 351W with multiport fuel injection. (PCM GT40) has about 440 hours on it, oil was in for 48hrs this year. Ran from April to beginning of November. Manufacturers recommended oil change interval is 50 hours. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201116-155548_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20201116-155548_Drive.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 136
Looks like open loop (perpetually) on it causes some fuel dilution. I've had D1 5w-40 in ours for the last two seasons, I might consider getting a UOA too.

Cadmium can be found in fuel and is a common emission from fuel so I would suspect that is where it came from.

Interesting, did not know that!

This boat is our slalom skiing tug, so it gets started, idles for a minute or two, then 3300 rpm for five minutes, repeat 2-3 times per morning.

I just switched to this oil in our older Century (5.7 GM based flat tappet V8).....I am a bit surprised by the Zn and Ph numbers though. They seem low for the oil type.

I will prob switch to M1 15w-50 next year.

Thanks.

I just switched to this oil in our older Century (5.7 GM based flat tappet V8).....I am a bit surprised by the Zn and Ph numbers though. They seem low for the oil type.

I will prob switch to M1 15w-50 next year.

Thanks.

I see nothing wrong with the ZDDP content. It's adequate for any OEM or mild aftermarket flat tappet cam.

I see nothing wrong with the ZDDP content. It's adequate for any OEM or mild aftermarket flat tappet cam.
Agree, but Valvoline states a higher level. I'm not switching to M1 for the additives, it is usually my go-to oil...just had a lot of the VR1 around from another vehicle.

"Which oil has more zinc/ZDDP: VR1 or Not Street Legal racing oil?

Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13 percent zinc and .12 percent phosphorus compared to the Valvoline "Not Street Legal" Racing Oil, which contains .14 percent zinc and .13 percent phosphorus
. "

Back