Ford 3.5 EB Gen 1 UOA Quaker State Full Syn: mere 2750 mi

Most recent UOA, chronic fuel diluter Ford Ecoboost 3.5, “winter“ OCI…to be replaced by some super-stout oil capable of withstanding 8500mi (plus / minus 1000) summer trip…something like Valvoline Premium Blue RESTORE. Actually I think the QSFS did reasonably OK, though not convinced it would be the best possible option over the summer…might be OK if I plan for an oil change mid-trip.

the previous UOA’s were : 5w30 Pennzoil Plat SN+ (oldest), then ~900 mi 530 Ultra Plat SN from stash, then Valvoline Premium Blue RESTORE 10w30 (more recent long OCI). There were other OCI’s: 2 per year, with the 3 summer runs on the VPBR. The VPBR has been awesome. Not sharing Dyson Analysis UOA’s on the VPBR due to NDA, though the late 2019 run shown was an attempt to get comparison between Dyson and OAI Labs…somewhat consistent. OAI reran the fuel dilution, and magically the FD dropped on 2nd analysis. I don’t remember the 1st result…now “covered up“ but higher…like 5%.

QSFS stayed in grade (better than the PennzoilPlat), didn’t hold up as well as VPBR…though that’s apple to oranges 2750 mi run vs much longer with VPBR…~$20 per gal vs $75per gal. Not sure what the oxidation & nitration results should have been for the QSFS.

Ford has been ZERO help on finding root cause of fuel dilution, denying / ignoring my attempts to diagnose. I can’t even get the tech to admit the oil smells like gas…maybe he has COVID, can’t smell anything.

Historically iron has been ~2ppm/1000mi, whereas this time was higher. i wish I knew why copper so high, on multiple UOA’s.

Motor runs fine…I think. NO noticeable misfires , NO codes. Somewhat disappointing mpg, though not abysmal…15-16 mpg highway in high-roof Transit van.

I also included a random VOA for this oil, which unfortunately doesn’t have virgin oxidation / nitration figures.

Attachments

• 9BA130ED-C6AA-4B8D-B5C6-3F8691553CC6.jpg
    9BA130ED-C6AA-4B8D-B5C6-3F8691553CC6.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 285
  • EFC4FC71-5E51-4628-9131-ED907E57AA09.jpg
    EFC4FC71-5E51-4628-9131-ED907E57AA09.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Anyone still selling VPBR?
Why not run a 5w40? and 0w40 in the winters?

Gen1? GDI only? How's the intake valves/ports doing?

Source of fuel dilution.... if all else seems well, is the automaker programming. Probably overly rich for regular fuel and emissions... Find an aftermarket tune that addresses a/f ratio.

The fuel dilution seems to be bothering you far more than it bothers the engine. We have a 2016 Expedition with the 3.5 EB, and I would guess it has plenty of gasoline in the oil based on the smell (I have not bothered with a UOA). The engine runs fine and my wife has the local Ford dealer change the oil every 5k miles. 110k miles so far (including lots of sub-zero winter operation) and it still runs excellent.

It may not matter to anyone, but here is another VOA, which does include virgin oxidation.

P.S., the UOA above is from a “Texas” winter, little or no sub-freezing starts, no idling, minimal short trips. Most usage was in 25-50 mile runs (each way) mostly highway this “winter.”

Attachments

• B5CCAFCC-8C20-40FE-8735-2DE08C291413.png
    B5CCAFCC-8C20-40FE-8735-2DE08C291413.png
    222.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
My Gen1 3.5L ecoboost has had a steady diet of 0w-40 and 5w-40 the past few years. Never an issue.

Anyone still selling VPBR?
Why not run a 5w40? and 0w40 in the winters?

Gen1? GDI only? How's the intake valves/ports doing?

Source of fuel dilution.... if all else seems well, is the automaker programming. Probably overly rich for regular fuel and emissions... Find an aftermarket tune that addresses a/f ratio.
Why 0W-40 in the winder where is doesn't get below 0*f

the 2nd VOA I attached (post#4) shows virgin QSFS oxidation (= 7). My 32 reading therefore is concerning. The oil is quite dark, considering low mileage. The VPBR is inherently high oxidation at 141 (Ester?), so the previous line (VPBR) on this report is apples to oranges compared to the QSFS reading. These 3 Shell products are the only non-VPBR oils I have tested.

Back