Ford 2.7L Ecoboost - API SP vs Ford WSS-M2C961-A1 + Pennzoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I have lurked for years but time to make some posts...I could use some advice!

I've got a 2021 F-150 on the way with the 2.7L Ecoboost. I'm ashamed to say I'm not sure what oil to use and could use some advice.

I have been using PPU for my other cars for reasons well documented on BITOG but am worried it won't be compatible with (my first) new vehicle warranty. It's been really nice to just have one type of oil on my shelf for our vehicles, it supposedly performs excellent and can be had for a good price. Once I get the truck, I'd like to change to a full synthetic oil as soon as makes sense... probably at 5000km (3000 miles); but open to suggestions!. I will be maintaining myself.

The manual says:
"Use oil that meets the defined specification and viscosity grade...If Motorcraft oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SP requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines...."

There is also a table provided with the Motorcraft synthetic blend oil listed and a heading that that says Specification: WSS-M2C961-A1

I could not find anything on the Pennzoil site listing compliance to Ford WSS-M2C961-A1, but lots of options for API SP certified oil across many different brands. Pennzoil lists compliance to WSS-M2C929-A and WSS-M2C946-A, which seems older.

I know i've read before on here that the API designation is the spec that's required, but the only other time the word "specification" is mentioned on the sheet is in reference to the Ford number, so it's got me worried! Maybe I am overthinking it...

All this leads me to some questions:

1) To keep my warranty, must I use oil that is compliant to WSS-M2C961-A1, just API SP, or both? I interpret as API SP is the bare minimum requirement, but they'd rather you buy their oil.
2) Any idea what drove the new ford spec, or if there is anything interesting in there that might be challenging for companies to meet?
3) Does Anybody know why no Pennzoil products have the new ford spec listed?
4) Most importantly, what's my best bet for oil? Should I play it safe and go with something like Mobil 1 EP that does claim compliance to both API and Ford Specs?

My end goal for the truck is long term ownership and will err on the side of using better oil and changing more often than what the manual/OLM suggests. no interest in extended intervals.

FYI the oil change intervals say to follow the OLM and to expect the message to come on:
Normal Use: 7,500–10,000 mi (12,000–16,000 km)
Severe Use: 5,000–7,500 mi (8,000–12,000 km)
Extreme use: 3,000–5,000 mi (5,000–8,000 km)

I can't see feeling comfortable going that long as normal intervals. severe sounds more like it considering the fuel dilution I have seen on UOAs here and I will be towing a couple thousand kms a year each oil change, but a light load compared to what it is capable of.

Best Regards,
Steve

WSS-M2C961-A1 is pretty much ford's rebrand of API SP with ILSAC GF-6A, the manual says that the minimum is API SP with API certification mark which means ILSAC GF-6A API SP 5W-30 is the minimum you should use, I'd use any synthetic 5w30 oil that meets Dexos1G2 along with API SP in the ecoboost.

1) To keep my warranty, must I use oil that is compliant to WSS-M2C961-A1, just API SP, or both? I interpret as API SP is the bare minimum requirement, but they'd rather you buy their oil.

API SP/GF-6 is the new bare minimum for modern oil. It's modeled after GM's Dexos1 Gen 2 to address LSPI issues. I would recommend using a M2C961-A1 approved oil to CYA.

2) Any idea what drove the new ford spec, or if there is anything interesting in there that might be challenging for companies to meet?

Ford 61 is their acknowledgement/equivalent of the new API SP/GF-6 specs.

3) Does Anybody know why no Pennzoil products have the new ford spec listed?

Good question. All indications point that SOPUS products should meet M2C961-A1 since they meet API SP and still meet D1G2.

4) Most importantly, what's my best bet for oil? Should I play it safe and go with something like Mobil 1 EP that does claim compliance to both API and Ford Specs?

I can verify that Motorcraft Synthetic Blend, Valvoline AFS, and M1 EP have the M2C961-A1 spec and would be your easiest "off the shelf" finds.

Valvoline Extended Performance is a new interest of mine based on VOA's that also looks like it carries M2C961-A1.

M1EP has a great string of mail in rebates currently (buy at O'Reilly, price match to wal-mart, $10 OReilly rebate, $15 M1 rebate)

I imagine that there will be some label updates later this year/early next year with Dexos1 Gen 3 for SOPUS and Castrol that will also cover M2C961-A1.

I'd say give the new SP version of Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 a try. It meets the WSS-M2C961-A1 specification, and will run well in cold weather. Others on this site have posted excellent EcoBoost UOA results with Magnatec oil.

Here's the latest webpage: Latest Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 Webpage

Latest slick sheet:

Attachments

• Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W-30 Outstanding.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 221
Any of your listed oils will do just fine in the 2.7, im on my second one now. You will fall in love with the motor. I've used mobil, pennzoil platinum, amsoil signature series, rotella gas truck ( valvetrain seemed louder on rgt) valvoline and now have castrol magnatec in the sump. The only difference I've seen in any of the oils was pennzoil platinum had better fuel economy than any of them. If you are that cautious use your ford points you will get, and get a couple of cases of full synthetic from your Ford dealer. I went in last week and got 9 qts of MC mercon lv and 12 qts of full synthetic just to burn my points up, still have around 30 bucks worth left out of the 210 ish dollar value of points you will get. I would say keep your OCI around 5k because of sheering especially with the PP and it being lighter in the 30wt to begin with. Enjoy the mpgs and the power when you want it, congratulations on your new ride!

I'm 55k miles in on my 2019 F-150 with the 2.7 and so far I've used Havoline Pro DS (6qt box), Magnatec, and currently running Valvoline Extended Protection. The Havoline is by far the best bang for the buck as far as price and convenience, but it started getting harder to find. My 3 local walmart's oil inventory have been severely depleted as of late so I don't have much to choose from at the moment, which is why I went with the Valvoline this last go round...it's all they had in stock in a 5w-30. I like the jug design on the Valvoline, so I may keep using it if they keep it in stock. I never got an oil test with either of the brands I've used so I can't speak to them on that side of things, but I haven't noticed anything different between any of them. Truck runs the same and gets the same consistent mileage with all of them, and I'm running a 93 octane MPT tune. So I say just pick flavor that you like and stick with it.

Different engine but the general idea will serve you well. Most Sp oils have the Dexos 1 gen 2 rating and that is better rating than just the SP. what bothers me about the Pennzoil is that it is on the thin end of the 30 wt scale .

I have a 2020 2.7 with 17,000 miles. I get free oil changes from the dealer every 7500 miles for two years. They use Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend, but I always ask for an upgrade to full synthetic, which I pay the difference for...

Being old school, I would never go 7500 miles between changes, so I change it myself half way between dealer oil changes. I've used Magnatec, Valvoline, and Kentall Gt1 (all 5w30 full synthetic). I have had no trouble with any of them and I've noticed absolutely no differences in performance or mpg.

I only use Motorcraft oil filters. I compared the Motorcraft Filter to the high end Fram one day at Walmart. I was very surprised at the difference in end plate thickness, apparent overall quality and the filter itself. The Fram was way inferior to the Motorcraft in my opinion from a visual inspection.

I only use Motorcraft oil filters. I compared the Motorcraft Filter to the high end Fram one day at Walmart. I was very surprised at the difference in end plate thickness, apparent overall quality and the filter itself. The Fram was way inferior to the Motorcraft in my opinion from a visual inspection.
Motorcraft filters are cheap purolator, they'll work but they aren't anything in particular to write home about, the Fram Ultra is a better filter, although I no longer recommend them since they cheaped out on the contruction of them now, they're still good but not $10 good.

Attachments

• blackstone uoa 21 BRONCO-220228 (2)-page-001.jpg
    blackstone uoa 21 BRONCO-220228 (2)-page-001.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 275
That's what I've been running in my 2.7 since 1000 miles. The specs say it's thinner than I'd like but no complaints otherwise. It happened to be the best deal at the time when I needed it.

UOA attached
Great news! I ran the factory oil and switched to M1 @ 5,500km (3,400 Miles). 2nd change at 10,00km and I am coming up to 18,000km on the truck now. I am not sure if I'll switch to PP or stick with M1...probably stick with M1, as I can't really find a strong case that either is superior. Great that they both carry the spec now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back