For those without Automatic Climate Control, when do you turn on the heat?

During the winter months, unless I need to quickly throw some heat/air at the windshield, I have always waited until the engine temp gauge is reading a normal operating temperature, or close to it, before turning on the heat in the cabin. My thinking has been that it allows the engine and oil to warm faster, as you are not trying to pull heat away, but also that it helps to get the engine into a less rich fuel mixture more quickly.

Does this thinking make sense, or am I just sitting in a cold car unnecessarily for a couple extra minutes during cold weather?

I would prefer to get some engine heat built up but it's too cold here to do so. My windows would be opaque before i got to 1/4 heat on the engine temp gauge and i would be one with a tree or ditch.

HVAC stays on auto in the winter, only deviation from Auto is in summer to turn off the AC when not needed
Heated seats and windows and wheel turn on with Auto start when I am getting my shoes and coat on.

During the winter months, unless I need to quickly throw some heat/air at the windshield, I have always waited until the engine temp gauge is reading a normal operating temperature, or close to it, before turning on the heat in the cabin. My thinking has been that it allows the engine and oil to warm faster, as you are not trying to pull heat away, but also that it helps to get the engine into a less rich fuel mixture more quickly.

Does this thinking make sense, or am I just sitting in a cold car unnecessarily for a couple extra minutes during cold weather?
Unless there's a valve in the heater hose that closes when the heat is off, you don't have to wait any longer for the engine to warm up. You will get heat as soon as the engine coolant warms.

Your method will get the engine up to temperature the quickest.

I leave the heat on, but not the fan, essentially, with the recirc on, no air circulates around the heater core to dissipate anything, so engine warm up isn’t an issue. Heated seats are used while the engine warms up enough to turn on the fan or turn off recirc.

I start my car 5-10 minutes before I leave work and put the heat on as soon as I start it. That way it's warm when I go out. I'm not sure running the heater will have enough effect on engine temp to worry about. If your thermostat is working properly its probably going to warm up in a similar amount of time.

I can’t speak for all makes but on the Chev Suburban and Ford Taurus, there is no “ valve” that lets hot water through the heater core. It always flows through the heater core. Instead, a flapper door opens to let hot air into the passenger compartment. On automatic systems the computer controls the flapper. On manual systems, turning the dial controls the flapper.

You are probably right in your thinking, but in reality it isn't going to make enough difference in warmup time to matter. My heat stays on pretty much all the time here in the winter, but I may turn the fan to low until it starts putting out some heat . You will probably cause more wear and tear on your dang heater knobs than it is worth.

Immediately. I refuse to be cold any longer than I absolutely have too. 50f air blowing out is still warmer than 30F or colder outside. If it was a problem I’m sure they’d add some sort of computer controlled valve to limit coolant flow to the heater core until a certain temperature.

No there wouldn't be as defogging trumps all. But it generally isn't an issue if you drive with some consideration

You are probably right in your thinking, but in reality it isn't going to make enough difference in warmup time to matter. My heat stays on pretty much all the time here in the winter, but I may turn the fan to low until it starts putting out some heat . You will probably cause more wear and tear on your dang heater knobs than it is worth.

On my former diesel, it would take 30 minutes of driving (40 mph ish) to get the temp gauge to normal, the cabin heater was very effective at removing all the heat from the engine until the cabin got to the set temp.

Back