For those who like idea of Fumoto but don’t like the risk… try this!

I've sen a lot of engine sumps with asphalt rash/impacts to be weary of drain valves.

However, I do have a few cap and screw-on drain adapter types (like the old Fram Sure Drain) in service.

I'm thinking of trying a Fumoto SX series. It appears that you can turn the valve so that it minimizes the amount it hangs down under the center line of the drain hole.

If I didn’t have a Fumoto already I would go with Valvomax or something like that. Seems like it would drain a little faster than a Fumoto

I don’t know about all the Fumoto models, but the ones I’ve used drain hot oil pretty fast. My ‘02 Jaguar XKR holds about 8 quarts of oil. I start the oil draining and then move over to replacing the oil filter. By the time I’ve got the old filter off and the filter partially pre-filled (does anyone do that besides me ??) and installed, the oil has finished draining. So I’m never held up waiting on the oil to drain. ymmv.

Z

I did buy a Valvomax just to try it out. I was going to put the Fumoto on her Altima but I don’t think it will fit.

Yes, I pre fill my oil filters as well

Out of the two, Fumoto and Valvomax, I like the Fumoto better functionality wise.

With either one, I still have to jack the car up about 6 inches or so to be able to reach under (as I did with just the standard drain plug) but with the Fumoto I just reach under, pull off plastic safety clip, turn valve and let it do its thing. When done, do the opposite and no mess anywhere.

Valvomax I screw the threaded end on and the hose turns with it so I have to stop a second, orientate the hose where I want it, tighten it a little more until the oil starts flowing. Get done and unscrew threaded part and maybe have a few drops of oil from hose sitting in the oil of drain pan. Granted I just used a drain pan and it worked maybe if I jacked the car up more to have enough room to put an empty 5qrt container with hose going into it might be a little cleaner.

Both make changing the oil a little cleaner than removing drain plug and it gushing out.

When my next oil change comes around I may take off the Valvomax and just go back to drain plug. Not sure yet. If I had a 2/4 post lift I would keep on as I would have enough room to let it drain into a container of some sorts. I do like the design of the Valvomax and the threaded end cap for protection

Back