For guys re-using old oil filters....

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^Now BOF you should note that I said "best practice", NOT an absolute, there's a difference. I didn't say it couldn't be done, as obviously I did it successfully. Also, my comment was posted before seeing your pics.

I will say that while your pictures shows some substantial depth sealing gaskets, I've seen the PL/L14610 and with not nearly that much depth difference to the can edge. In fact, 'if' I had a nitpick about the PL14610 that might be it. Just sayin.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I will say that while your pictures shows some substantial depth sealing gaskets, I've seen the PL/L14610 and with not nearly that much depth difference to the can edge. In fact, 'if' I had a nitpick about the PL14610 that might be it. Just sayin.

Ok, I can agree with you on that. But, do you think that tightening the filter too much might have caused this?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Ok, I can agree with you on that. But, do you think that tightening the filter too much might have caused this?

I just changed a PL20195 on my Tacoma, and the gasket on the used filter's gasket was smashed down pretty good compared to the new filter.

BOF - how long was that PureOne on your vehicle? Didn't you swap it out shortly after installing it. Mine was on for a year, so I think the longer it's on and the longer the OCI is, the more set the sealing gasket will become.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I just changed a PL20195 on my Tacoma, and the gasket on the used filter's gasket was smashed down pretty good compared to the new filter.

BOF - how long was that PureOne on your vehicle? Didn't you swap it out shortly after installing it. Mine was on for a year, so I think the longer it's on and the longer the OCI is, the more set the sealing gasket will become.

Z06, it had been on my engine from 7/9/13 to 9/18/13. The oil had over 4K miles on it. I recently changed it to use the PU 5W30 I just recently bought.
I find it hard to believe the gasket would compress more over time by itself. I can believe it will compress more if someone or something tightened the filter every now and then, or, over tightening it from the original application.
Maybe I am missing something here about the physics behind gasket compression and someone with more knowledge will chime in.
21.gif

I think heat cycles over time would be the issue. The prolonged heating/cooling causing the rubber to loose it's elasticity. Once it is dry/stiff/brittle it is not going to seal to the base as well and may remain compressed when removed.

This is why it's not a one answer for everyone thing to me. The gasket of the M1 was still soft when I re-installed it. I have another one on the shelf, if I had thought it would fail I would not have put it back on.

As a filter ages it picks up particulates or "loads". This means that as it loads with particulates its efficiency is increasing in removing ever smaller particles. Thus a filter that has been in service for a time is doing a better job of filtering. Change it out with a new filter and the new filter will not be as efficient at removing smaller particles. The limit of filter life is when the flow becomes restricted to the point where the bypass valve opens and/or the pump pulls a vacuum on the intake. This is especially true of cellulose (paper) filter media, where the spaces between the fibers are larger and more uniform than a synthetic media filter. For example Amsoil EA15K filters are rated for 15K miles or one year, while their EA0 filters extend that to 25K in one year or 15K under severe service. There are other brand filters that offer extended life ratings and synthetic media, Amsoil is but one example.

Last edited:
When I was working as an HVAC pipe fitter/welder (26 years) I had to go out in the field sometimes to service CEP's chillers, pumps, ahu's, and other misc. equipment. Some of these CEP's had been in operation anywhere from less than 1 year to well over 20 years.
Routine maintenance of a pump suction diffuser (strainer) is to pull the cover and clean the strainer screen. These covers use a flat type rubber gasket. These suction diffusers have to be cleaned usually when a restriction is present or checked/cleaned once a year.
Chilled water suction diffusers have water going throuh them at temperatures anywhere from 34* up to 55*, normally. Condenser water suction diffusers have water temperatures anywhere from 70* to 120*, normally. And, these pumps normally run 7/24, all year!
In all of my years having to service one of these suction diffusers I have NEVER had to replace a gasket. And believe me, the bolts holding the covers onto the body have to be tightened very much!
I have also come across some that use a round type gasket. It depends on what company makes the diffuser.
I know it has nothing to do with an automotive engine, but in theory it has to do with the gasket on an oil filter. Expansion and contraction throughout hot and cold cycles.

ke18.jpg
vukn.jpg

Z06, it had been on my engine from 7/9/13 to 9/18/13. The oil had over 4K miles on it. I recently changed it to use the PU 5W30 I just recently bought.
I find it hard to believe the gasket would compress more over time by itself. I can believe it will compress more if someone or something tightened the filter every now and then, or, over tightening it from the original application.
Maybe I am missing something here about the physics behind gasket compression and someone with more knowledge will chime in.
21.gif

In my instance, the rubber base gasket on my PureOne did not spring back at all after the filter was removed - it was flattened pretty good. So if the used filter was removed and reinstalled, and you wanted to re-tighten it, you would have to go even tighter than it was originally to get a good seal. Now you might have to over-tighten the filter, which isn't a good thing.

Best thing to do if you are using an oil filter for more than one OCI is to not remove it ... leave it alone.
smile.gif

No, I only hand tighten 2/3-3/4 turn past gasket contact so that's not the issue.

I've never had a leak/issue but that particular application has a fairly tight tolerance. There's been a thread or two about it quite some time back. Not saying definitively that it couldn't be drained and reinstalled successfully (never tried), just that it's a tighter tolerance.

As mentioned though beyond the gasket depth/width, heat and cool cycles 'could' affect the reliability of the gasket seal with removal and reinstallation. So my 'best practice' thought stands.

Best thing to do if you are using an oil filter for more than one OCI is to not remove it ... just replace the engine.
smile.gif

There, I fixed it for you Z06.
grin.gif

Best thing to do if you are using an oil filter for more than one OCI is to not remove it ... just replace the engine.
smile.gif

There, I fixed it for you Z06.
grin.gif

laugh.gif

This debate is sort of pointless. It depends on the filter's capacity. If the filter can go the mileage, use it for two changes or even three.

The filters in my stash will last about this long:

1. BOSCH DISTANCE PLUS D3330 15000

2. BOSCH DISTANCE PLUS D3330 15000

3. FRAM EXTENDED GUARD XG3600 12000

4. MICROGUARD MGL3600 8000

5. MOBIL EXTENDED PERFORMANCE M1-102 15000

6. MOBIL EXTENDED PERFORMANCE M1-102 15000

7. NAPA PRO-SELECT 21348
8000 max.

8. PUROLATOR PURE ONE PL20195 10000

9. STP S3600 E-CORE 6000 max.

10. TOYOTA 90915-YZZD1 8000

11. TOYOTA 90915-YZZD1 8000

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
This debate is sort of pointless. It depends on the filter's capacity. If the filter can go the mileage, use it for two changes or even three.

Some people don't grasp the concept that the filter can be changed after it's life is over based on mileage ... which means using it for as many OCIs as it takes to get to that mileage.

But of course, there is nothing wrong with changing the oil filter at every OCI if that's how ya roll.
smile.gif

7. NAPA PRO-SELECT 21348
8000 max.

11. TOYOTA 90915-YZZD1 8000

"One Filter, One OCI!"

Originally Posted By: cp3
If the gasket had hardened as I've noticed some have when I took the filter off, I would be more reluctant to re-install it.

Maybe some Maxlife will fix that for you!

7. NAPA PRO-SELECT 21348
8000 max.