Following Honda MM-which 0w20?

For my 2020 passport.....

first two changes were 5k OCI using magnatec. I’m now thinking of following (down to maybe 15-20 percent) the MM. I’m not sure I want to run magnatec out that long, which looks to be maybe 7500 miles.

I’m thinking about M1 EP or even Castrol Edge EP in 0w20 for warranty purposes.
Thoughts? 50/50 city highway driving

thanks.

I use M1 EP 0w20 in my '12 Camry for 10k/6mo OCIs (lots of highway driving, and most of my city driving is longer trips). Toyota recommends 10k for all but severe driving, and I figure the M1 EP provides a bit of a cushion, even though the regular M1 is more than up to the task. It's a couple bucks more at Walmart to upgrade to the EP; I'm sure that or the Edge EP would both serve you well (and the Magnatec would likely as well). Honda's MM is a pretty elaborate and intelligent system that has way more info than just going by mileage alone.

Any 0W-20 with SP or SN+ designation is sufficient for warranty purposes.
And in this Honda should be sufficient for your own peace of mind.

But to split hairs, here are some notable favorites:
M1 EP
QSUD (now just Full sythetic?), Shell R Gas & Truck have healthy dose of Moly.

Those are what I would chose in my Honda. And I have a Honda, and have pleasently used all of the above.

The owners manual for my 2021 Honda recommends 0w20...any oil with the Starburst symbol, that’s it.

Attachments

• 8046D2E9-D1B0-49C3-9282-F144D636DF3A.jpeg
    8046D2E9-D1B0-49C3-9282-F144D636DF3A.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 5
For the 2020 Passport, if it's owned for the long haul, just shorten the OCI to 6K and keep using Magnatec. If it's leased, just follow the MM and use whatever meets specs and saves you some coin.

Good luck with the Passport. Tried to buy one last month in Florida but there were no AWD EX or Touring models to be had in that dark cherry pearl.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Maybe I’ll just stick with the magnatec at 5-6k. Using an ultra and keeping it on for two ocis. Cheap insurance.
I have considered the new st 20k. Interesting. QSUD has always interested me too. Seems like a great oil at a great price. 5w20 has good specs.

Wait until April 1st and go pick up 2 jugs of Mobil1 EP from Wallyworld for $27, and then submit your $30 rebate.
Great idea and good to know about the rebate. I bought some M1 0w20 EP HM last year and really like it in the ‘12 Camry with 84k on it. No more 1 second start up screech(vvt) either after using this oil. Also used some Gumout Regane HM fuel system cleaner around the same time. Noise just gradually went away thankfully.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Maybe I’ll just stick with the magnatec at 5-6k. Using an ultra and keeping it on for two ocis. Cheap insurance.
I have considered the new st 20k. Interesting. QSUD has always interested me too. Seems like a great oil at a great price. 5w20 has good specs.
Stick with the Magnatec until the MM tells you to change it. There's no reason at all to not go by the MM on a modern car if you're using the correct oil.

Why don't you think Magnatec can go that long?

Just wasn’t sure what people thought the Max oci would be on magnatec, as it’s not castrols “top” offering.

I ran it out many times to 10k in all kinds of vehicles. Mostly I thought I could have got more out of it.
I am running SuperTech high mileage 0w20 Ilsac 6a API SP and DEXOS 2. USING O'REILLY 80mm Microguard select 10k filter..ADBV AND gasket are both hi temp silicone. . at 195000 burns maybe .5qt in 10K

I run Magnatec 0w20 in my 2016 Civic and I have no qualms about waiting for the MM to hit zero percent, even if it ends up being over 9000 miles. I think that changing out the Magnatec after only 5-6k isn't really giving you good value for your money, the oil can handle going further quite easily.

For my 2020 passport.....

first two changes were 5k OCI using magnatec. I’m now thinking of following (down to maybe 15-20 percent) the MM. I’m not sure I want to run magnatec out that long, which looks to be maybe 7500 miles.

I’m thinking about M1 EP or even Castrol Edge EP in 0w20 for warranty purposes.
Thoughts? 50/50 city highway driving

thanks.
The same engine as my wife’s Pilot. Disable the VCM system. SVCM is what I use.

Back