Flying venomous Joro spiders may spread to New Jersey this summer

Joro spiders were first spotted in the United States around 2013, according to a University of Georgia news release. The creatures have since spread rapidly across the southeastern states.

looks similar to a banana spider, which we have lots during springtime but havent seen many this year for some reason. They are fun to watch over time because they fatten up and grow to godzilla proportions. It was only a matter of time that the species gained flying abilities, laser beams and gas spigots are next.

looks similar to a banana spider, which we have lots during springtime but havent seen many this year for some reason. They are fun to watch over time because they fatten up and grow to godzilla proportions. It was only a matter of time that the species gained flying abilities, laser beams and gas spigots are next.
Yep … but walk face to face to one in the woods and the heart gains 10 BPM until you identify 👀

"The spider is venomous, but its fangs are incapable of breaking human skin. So while it is advised to kill certain invasive species such as the spotted lantern fly, the Jors can be left alone"
We need to be more concerned with the tiny brown recluse and not leave habitat for them … boss had a nasty bite wound get infected and was in ICU for 5 days - not awake for all of that …

We need to be more concerned with the tiny brown recluse and not leave habitat for them … boss had a nasty bite wound get infected and was in ICU for 5 days - not awake for all of that …
Speaking of I found a black and brown widow while sweeping out my garage this past Sunday.

Great headline.....for the National Enquirer.

Joro's are big enough to avoid, I'm good with that. Now the little recluse that arrived w/ our Christmas gifts from family in the South....

"The spider is venomous, but its fangs are incapable of breaking human skin. So while it is advised to kill certain invasive species such as the spotted lantern fly, the Jors can be left alone"

They can break human skin, but it’s not particularly dangerous. My reading is that a bite would be similar to a bee sting, although there is the possibility of anaphylaxis.

Why are invasive species always from East Asia? I wonder when Australian Huntsman spiders are going to parachute into N. America?

Why are invasive species always from East Asia? I wonder when Australian Huntsman spiders are going to parachute into N. America?

In other parts of the world, invasive species are from North America.

A few years ago there were a LOT of banana spiders.

Thankfully I haven't seen them lately.

I'd be happy if I never saw another spider in my life ...

Back