Flying venomous Joro spiders may spread to New Jersey this summer

I live about an hour from where these spiders are thought to have entered the U.S. We first noticed them several years ago and they have been increasing yearly. I started seeing the small ones about 2-3 wks ago and they will continue to grow and build webs until about November when the adults die off. They are literally everywhere down here. Their webs are a strange golden hue and very tenacious. They will bite, but it is rare.
I'm not an arachnophobe, but really don't care for them dropping on me or running into them out in the woods. They have really put a damper on my woods recreation for about half the year!

Ridiculous title for that media piece. ALL spiders are venomous and these will not do you any harm. Yeah, if you grab it like an idiot, it will try to defend itself but it's bite won't so much remind you of a red ant bite (maybe). Additionally, it does not "fly". When the babies are born, they shoot a silk stream that is captured by the air currents. This takes them to different locations, away from competition. I would MUCH rather have this in my yard catching flies and wasps than not.

You want to worry about spiders? We have plenty native species that are much more dangerous:

1. BROWN RECLUSE SPIDERS​

2. BLACK WIDOW SPIDERS​

3. YELLOW SAC SPIDERS​

4. FALSE BLACK WIDOW SPIDERS​

Ridiculous title for that media piece. ALL spiders are venomous and these will not do you any harm. Yeah, if you grab it like an idiot, it will try to defend itself but it's bite won't so much remind you of a red ant bite (maybe). Additionally, it does not "fly". When the babies are born, they shoot a silk stream that is captured by the air currents. This takes them to different locations, away from competition. I would MUCH rather have this in my yard catching flies and wasps than not.

You want to worry about spiders? We have plenty native species that are much more dangerous:

2. BLACK WIDOW SPIDERS​

3. YELLOW SAC SPIDERS​

We have those here too. I personally just don't like the insect/arachnid world lol. They're extremely interesting but creep me out.

I remember my son sending pictures of Camel Spiders when he was stationed at Bagram Airbase in Afghanistan. They were big, ugly, non- poisonous but were said to leave a nasty bite. If my wife sees one of those Joro spiders she is going to freak out.

2. BLACK WIDOW SPIDERS​

3. YELLOW SAC SPIDERS​

I have seen them all I think
CERTAINLY 1 and 2
Not sure what 3 and 4 are but will look it up

Had a number of Black Widows in our brand new home (garage) last summer here along the Carolina Coast
Some years back when first introduced to Black Widows I was uncovering my boat and inadvertently reached under the cover that was covering the top of the swim platform. I’ll never forget it, I stuck my hand into the black widows web, felt like nothing I ever felt. Like a fine silk that is very strong stiffish and sticks to your hand. I looked under the platform unmistakable there it was. Since then I found it easy to identify their unique web. It’s unmistakable and unique.

Our past home in the midlands of S.C. only rarely saw them though 16 years ago when that home was new we had quite a few scorpions however most of them are not venomous.

The recluse I am sure I have run across many times and I know serious but they blend in with other spiders and not distinctive like a widow. Though think they have small tiny bodies that pack a punch? I have seen those and at the time looked it up

As far as the house I seem to do my own thing with extermination and spray foundation a few times a year. I have found that seems to take care of the dangerous ones forever I’m just not aware of the Brown Recluse and to me that is the worse one of all. Sometimes they have to carve out flesh where you get bit.

Last edited:
Back