Fluid Recommendation

2015 F150 5.0 with 6 speed (6R80E) transmission. I'm going to hit 60k soon and plan on a transfer case drain/fill and a transmission pan drop and filter change. I did this at 30k and used Mercon LV. I have no issue with Mercon LV but always good to ask as the printed owners manual does not get back/new spec info! Kinda like the Ford orange coolant back to green recently.

Mercon LV or is there something "better" out there! And if you know, is the trans pan gasket reusable? Or new one required.

There are many licensed Mercon LV fluids out there, including Castrol Full Synthetic ATF. Even Walmart's house brand is licensed Mercon LV.

If a license doesn't matter, you might like Redline D6 or one of the other boutiques, if you're willing to spend the money.

Of course, there is always Maxlife if you're out-of-warranty, don't need a licensed LV, and don't want to pay too much for quality synthetic ATF :sneaky:

If your original pan doesn't have a drain plug, get an aftermarket pan that has one, which will make future ATF changes much easier because you won't have to drop the pan again! :D

As far as the gasket, they don't cost too much, so you might as well replace it even if it's "reusable"

Mercon LV is what I would use. Motorcraft or any one of the licensed alternatives. Castrol Dex IV/Mercon LV is one.

Also, to do the fluid change correctly, Ford wants you to use a scan tool to verify transmission fluid temperature when checking the levels. I find a pair of welding gloves to be very helpful as the little dipstick on the side of the case is inches away from a catalytic converter on my rig.

Valvoline's Dexron VI/Mercon LV is "recommended for mercon LV" applications and is currently $4.46/qt through wally world. Supertech can't even beat that price.

Back