Fluid Extractor Suggestions

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Thinking about getting a fluid extractor for oil changes, open to suggestions as I see other brands on Amazon, thinking of Mityvac too. I do have a compressor at home but I'd like to use it when not at home if hand pump models aren't too bad? Thanks!

Mityvac 7201 popular this site. Recommended to son several years ago based on recs here for Audi OCs with cartridge on engine top. Since has said, the only way to go.

Last edited:
Mityvac is a great tool. When I bought mine and used it first time I also removed drain plug after extraction to see how much oil was left. All I got was 2oz of oil so I was good with that and subsequent oil changes were done without removing drain plug. VW and Audi are piece of cake due to filter being on top so no need to get under car at all. Oil and filter change takes about 15 min. I also used it on son's Honda CRV to change engine and AT oil. It worked great.

I have MityVac 7201 that I bought a few years ago but have never used. I'm a lil put off how hard this will be to clean after I use it (or am I over thinking this?) What are you guys using to clean it out after using?
I want to use it to pull my transmission, xfer case ans diff fluids and use it to to put new stuff in as well, but need to clean it between each...

I have MityVac 7201 that I bought a few years ago but have never used. I'm a lil put off how hard this will be to clean after I use it (or am I over thinking this?) What are you guys using to clean it out after using?
I want to use it to pull my transmission, xfer case ans diff fluids and use it to to put new stuff in as well, but need to clean it between each...

Admittedly I only use mine to extract. But, you can either take the top off and clean it out, or (and I think this is what I would probably do), suck some clean fluid (that you will be using to fill) swish it around the container then empty it. What little remnants remain won’t hurt a thing.

I got this one, and it has been flawless:

I looked at this one but 6.5L is a bit small. Also, I think it does not have a reverse to pump the dirty oil out? You have tp pour?
Please advise... Thanks.

I looked at this one but 6.5L is a bit small. Also, I think it does not have a reverse to pump the dirty oil out? You have tp pour?
Please advise... Thanks.
Yeah that's why I didn't order it, my Genesis takes 8-1/2 quarts of oil.

Please advise... Thanks.
I pour it out. It’s not a big deal, since the fluid goes in a bigger container, and after 4-5 oil changes, it goes to get recycled.

I have a 6.5 liter one from Eastwood. Manual pump to extract only. It’s been a very good purchase. Changed oil, PS fluid, brakes, remove trans oil before dropping pan, changing oil in air compressors, mowers, boats, etc.

I will say that flipping the switch and pumping the old oil into a recycle conatiner is a big plus, in my opinion.
You don't even get dirty and spillage is highly minimized.
Again. just my 2 cents. All good.

I was just looking into these earlier this morning. I was looking into the Pela PL-650, which is very similar to the many other 6.5 liter extractors such as the one linked by Propflux01. They all seem somewhat expensive for what they are; trying to reason if it is worth paying more for what appears to be the original rather than a likely cheaper-made copy. Or maybe they are all the same.

Also looking at the Mityvac discussed here and what might be advantageous about that design.

Just out of necessity, I used a vacuum cleaner, gallon jug, and a 1/2 inch tube about 2 feet in length for a extraction of the about 2 cups of coolant under the coolant plate on a Toyota 3.3l V6, The jug contracted some but allowed for enough vacuum to clean out the coolant, taking a couple of times, and the vacuum cleaner didn't get any coolant in it. The tube went to the bottom of the jug and the vacuum attachment fit in beside it, then I slightly modified it by duck taping the tube at the top. Just to clarify, it was an older vacuum cleaner that had a deficiency that wouldn't matter if it was ruined in the process. I later used this set-up to vacuum sludge chunks from under the valve cover, worked great for this process too. Vacuum cleaner has suffered no ill effects and will be operational for next task.

Back