Flu shot question

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Read somewhere that 7 of 10 doctors would not give to family,,, how come?"

Do a search on the www.

Quote:

I think you should wait until all the American Citizens, Military and the elderly get their shots first.

I wasn't stating my real reason for not getting a flu shot for the past few years out of politeness, but after your kind reminder I have no qualms revealing why I didn't get flu shots here: it's because of the shortages, which are showing exactly where the citizens of this country rank in importance in the eyes of their own government. Shameful indeed! This year there is no shortage, however, so I was intending to get a flu shot, but you're right, I'll simply not get a flu shot. Let's hope I won't be really contagious this year!
tongue.gif

I just got my flu shot last night. I got the flu last year and it totally knocked me out. I definitely don't care to repeat that experience, especially with my 11 month old son in the house now. The poor kid has had enough trouble with ear infections that I certainly don't want to risk him getting the flu.

With regard to waiting for others to get the shot, I can understand doing that if there was a shortage of flu vaccine, as there has been the past couple years, but not this year. By all accounts, there's plenty to go around for everyone.

For those scared of needles, I'd suggest that you compare the very short-lived pain of the needle prick to the outright misery that the flu causes. That should make the choice clear. I don't care for needles much, either, but I still give blood and compared with that, a flu shot is a complete piece of cake. The needle prick is truly no big deal by any measure.

I work in healthcare,facilitys,and have a good general doc,was sain to try to get flu shot late in season,as mid december,and as with this season drink lots of water,and other fluids as fruit juice,(100%) at the start of winter season as your body requires for ,dry air has somthing to do with it ,and keep a good excerse program and try to avoid large groups of people when known "bug" is going around,,and most importent WASH HANDS often..BL

To answer my own dang question I'll tell y'all :)p) what my voodoo doctor said in regard to my ACTUAL QUESTION.

You must not get a flu shot if you already show symptoms of the flu (or of any other major infection). The reason: having flu symptoms (or symptoms of any other infection) indicates your body's immune system is weakened and the additional administration of (dead if injected, live if aerosol vaccine) flu virus will put you at serious risk for an overly strong reaction to the vaccination, which can end badly.

Already having the flu, but being still in the incubation period (typically 1 or 2 days after infection occurs, in case of the flu), means the immune system is still in good shape and can handle the flu vaccine just fine.

The chance of experiencing any side effects (mild to not so mild flu-like symptoms) is ca 40% and the chance of catching a flu is reduced by ca 90%. if you catch a flu anyway, you can expect its effects to be much milder than without the vaccination.

If you are over 65, you should get a vaccination against pneumonia (certain, rather lethal strains) at the same time.

PS: The above info is based on what my voodoo doctor said, and wether or not the man is competent I do not know! So take this all with a grain of salt and talk to your own voodoo doctor.

Quote:

The chance of experiencing any side effects (mild to not so mild flu-like symptoms) is ca 40% and the chance of catching a flu is reduced by ca 90%. if you catch a flu anyway, you can expect its effects to be much milder than without the vaccination.

I believe that information. Puts it into perspective. And another point: Those that get a flu shot are helping those that disdain it. If 50% of the people get flu, it means effectively 45% less flu will occur which means the liklihood of everyone getting the flu will be greatly reduced.

Unless one is a hermit or misanthrope who never leaves his home, getting a flu shot seems certainly advisable. It's not only about protecting yourself but also about not becoming a virus-spreading biohazard. The pneumonia vaccination should be administered at same time, if one is over 65.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

The pneumonia vaccination should be administered at same time, if one is over 65.
thumbsup.gif

I think they recommend erlier. I got mine at 50. Its good for 10 years I believe and when you are older than 60, I believe its good for life.

Quote:

I think they recommend erlier. I got mine at 50. Its good for 10 years I believe and when you are older than 60, I believe its good for life.

Seems my voodoo doctor agrees with the CDC: check the second paragraph.

If the pneumonia vaccine (it offers protection only against a particular nasty kind of pneuomonia) is good for ten years, and if the vaccination is "for life" after 65, isn't that kind of uhm, I'm not sure how to say that delicately.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back