Floor Jack squealing - maintenance or repair suggestions

Jack in question is a Blackline by Arcan 3 1/2-Ton Low-Profile Professional Service Floor Jack — Model# XL35B bought from Northern tool 7 years ago, it still lifts and holds weight perfectly fine, I did put it in storage for long period of time but would take it out once a year to use. Now there is a loud "squealing" noise when pumping it underload only, it doesn't make any noise pumping without load.

I have never done any maintenance on it because I simply don't know how, all the YouTube videos I have seen are talking solutions for a floor jack that doesn't work, mine works perfectly fine, its just loud, is there a way I can fix that? and should the hydraulic fluid be replaced?

image0.jpeg

It didn't have any rust before from what I remember, but it never got exposed to any moisture that I'm aware of as it was used inside of a garage in the beginning of it's life and looked perfect when I put it into climate controlled storage 3 years ago but I did use it on and off without any issue.

Maybe you need a helper to jack something while your ear is down at jack level (being safe of course). It could be metal on metal causing the noise. Maybe needs some grease or shot of white lithium on the contact points of the jacking mechanism.

Maybe you need a helper to jack something while your ear is down at jack level (being safe of course). It could be metal on metal causing the noise. Maybe needs some grease or shot of white lithium on the contact points of the jacking mechanism.
there is wood in between, always

Sorry had a very busy day, been working 2 remote jobs, I didn’t read the last part, so I apologize

Grease or white lithium on contact points of the jacking mechanism, where exactly are you referring to, and where all should I be putting greasing to keep the jack working great?

Brakleen.. blowout with compressed air.. if you have an oiler lube with atf.. otherwise a good lithium based grease would work

Last edited:
I tried brake parts cleaner and waited for it to dry and tried heavy duty silicone lubricant, and no go.

I have bought some white lithium grease and sprayed it on the rusty parts, and will try the jack again to see if it works

I have a newer 3T Arcan jack (from Costco - not sure of the model), which is only a couple of years old. Mine has had a similar issue since new. The pitch of the squealing changes a bit, based on how much load is on the jack. Jacking up our smaller car (Elantra Touring) only created a slight, higher pitched squeak, but was a bit louder when trying to lift the front of my Tundra. To me, it seemed like it was something in the lifting hydraulics, rather than on a pivot point. Other than that, it functions perfectly. I don't use mine daily, but it is my main jack when I do have to work on stuff. I store it in the basement when not using it, but only use it in the back yard or someone else's yard if I have to do work elsewhere. I thought it was probably normal, so I didn't look for any potential causes (yet).

Back