Flipped my riding mower end over end

Guy in a nearby neighborhood lost a hand when the mower tipped and he got tangled in the sharp bits when I was growing up. That's always left a mark in my mind. I'm a fan of the safety systems.

I once left the little piece of two by four that I used to hold the mower's frame up, on the bench, so I could work on the wheels. Started it up and BAM! Sat on the garage floor until I gathered the courage to pull my short's back to see where the jagged wooden missile hit me. Left a deep, dark purple and black bruise, the size of a tea cup saucer, on my inner thigh...right next to my hmmmmmm hmmmmmmmms. Hurt for almost ten days. No blood though.

Pulled broke down mower behind an atv doing maybe 35-40mph on a side street. My buddy who was on the mower hit the gear shift with his knee. It went into gear broke the nylon rope we were using as a tow strap and skidded into the ditch.

Went down a very steep old sawdust pile on a mower with the deck taken off.

The list goes on and on! I've done many stupid things on mowers. Could pick them up for either free or next to it when I was in high school. Kind of like an atv for poor kids.
There are actually people that turn used mowers into atv’s and ride on the atv trails. They remove the deck, put on bigger diameter tires, and often eliminate the governor on the engine and convert to throttle control. They go thru some very surprising rough terrain. A lot of fun can be had on a 200 dollar busted deck lawnmower and some bigger tires and wheels. When she blows, the move parts to the next mower. The fact so many mowers are made by MTD provides a lot of parts interchange and plenty to stock to convert.

Rod

There are actually people that turn used mowers into atv’s and ride on the atv trails. They remove the deck, put on bigger diameter tires, and often eliminate the governor on the engine and convert to throttle control. They go thru some very surprising rough terrain. A lot of fun can be had on a 200 dollar busted deck lawnmower and some bigger tires and wheels. When she blows, the move parts to the next mower. The fact so many mowers are made by MTD provides a lot of parts interchange and plenty to stock to convert.

Rod
I now want to do this.

Back