Fleets and Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
TiredTrucker - No inframes at all. DDEC2 were a great series. They went a little backwards after that. The Cummins Signatures were a real dog here. I had a firiend who purchased 15 in one hit. All were rebuilt in the first year

We called the N14s the Xmas engines - you gave them an inframe every Xmas....! I had a lot to do with initial introduction - of the L10 to OZ - now that's a story!

Ypou are fortunate in being able to get glider kits. We order ex factory in NA here now. The Euro trucks are standard OZ Spec - but the market here has always been NA orientated

The last price I paid for an Iveco conventional was $A265 000 a cabover KW with a similar driveline was a tad under $A300 000

Originally Posted By: m37charlie
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Totally legal

Except for California...

Charlie

Yep, except California. That's ok, my trucks have not had anything to do with California for over 10 years and they will have nothing to do with California again. Same for New England and Florida. Lousy freight rates coming out after you scrounge for whatever freight is available.

The big fleets can waste their time in those areas.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Those customer testimonials are silly. The fleet manager compares 4k mile dino runs to 10k syn runs. Hmm.. someone should let him know that he can stretch out those dino runs, especially in a cab, and "the cars run better". Hmm.. ok. I think M1 should work on getting a better site together with facts instead of butt dyno 'feel' good stories with silly comparisons.
Following the same logic the 10k syn runs can be extended as well. I can not argue on the subject of over the road trucks since I am not qualified at all. As for cars, namely cabs, I have seen tons of them running past 700k on both bulk regular and syn oils. What to run is my choice. As well as yours. Arithmetic for my small fleet of town cars and cabs taught me rather quickly that Mobil 1 EP saves me money. And it does feel good. Especially when your fleet is run accident free for years. The reason I go with my choice: I am the one who pays for everything.

Originally Posted By: Dualie
Actually disabling the emissions system is a fed offence. but only if you get caught.

True on a certain level. Disabling the EGR on an ISX is a simple process.... 1) let engine sit long enough to completely cool down. 2) turn on key without starting 3) wait approx 30 seconds so EGR valve is completely closed 4) unplug EGR and tape over end of plug to keep moisture out.

That being said, if the any government official were to look, it would probably be a DOT cop and I have my doubts that most of them would even know where to look to find the EGR. The EPA is playing its own games and doesn't have the manpower to inspect over 3 million commercial trucks. And if by some chance I was inspected, simple... "that darn plug keeps falling out and I am not a certified tech so I will have to take it to the shop again".

Cummins doesn't seem to mind. The three Cummins shops I frequent know what I am doing, do not care, and have honored every warranty claim. They have better things to occupy their time as well.

For me, the increase of $6000 net per truck a year was worth it. Way less soot, better fuel mileage, cooler running engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back