Fleetguard...now Cummins Filtration

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been announced, Fleetguard is now Cummins Filtration.

Here's the Q&A on the name change:

http://www.fleetguard.com/fleet/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/cf_faqs.pdf

However, rumour has it Fleetguard name might go by the wayside over time. The test is; does the Cummins name impact the market better.

The answer will be which idiots at corporate are smoking what brand of cigars..lol

People with Detroit, Mercedes, Volvo, Caterpillar, etc engines will not like having a Cummins branded filter on their engine. Which is why for the time being only the Cummins logo will appear on filter part numbers specifically for Cummins engines.

Won't mean a hill of beans to the automotive car market though..

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:

Won't mean a hill of beans to the automotive car market though..

It should help in the car aftermarket. I doubt that 1% of car owners know who Fleetguard is (I'm a 1%er, I used their synthetic oil filters on my 4.3L GM V6).

Cummins is a much better known name and I believe would get a generally positive response from car owners who know it. Must be at least 10% of the general public that knows who Cummins is
lol.gif

I respect your opinions, Filter guy, but somehow I don't believe owners of rigs with competitive diesel engines are as brand conscious as car owners. I've yet to talk to a trucker who believes the Cummins name is synonymous with "junk". They may prefer their choice, but they typically concede Cummins builds a quality engine. Once the word gets out, I'm betting former Fleetguard users won't have any problem eventually using Cummins Filtration replacement pieces.

(Look at the number of actual Ford haters who go out of their way to use Motorcraft oil and oil filters in and on whatever they drive...)

Ray H.

For the same reason Fleets wouldn't but a Freightliner truck--they were owned by Consolidated Freightways---but now will because they are owned by Mercedes Benz..you'd be surprised the loyalty factor with fleets.

Truck OEMs and their dealer organization are much different than car owners.

Some people/truckers or fleets will use a Cummins filter on their Caterpillar, Detroit, etc. But you'd be surprised with the amount of those who wont.

Cummins will have to bet on how much market share they'd lose, imho. Naturally those in the corporate office will all agree with each other that it is a good idea. Fleetguard as a brand name has been around 50 years or so. Why they might "choose" to get rid is stupid to me.

For instance..Fleetguard has a program whereby truck dealers can purchase direct. They have this with all the major truck OEM's. Kenworth and Peterbilt #1 engine of choice is Cat. Freightliner it is Detroit/Mercedes. It would be easy for those two truck OEM's to cancel their direct ship program with "Cummins". As it competes with their main engine of choice. Freightliner has their "Alliance" brand which will be promoted even further at "Cummins" expense. I'm sure Wix wouldn't mind. Same with Baldwin or Donaldson which have programs with KW and Pete or even Luberfiner.

Volvo/White might not mind as they have Cummins as their #1 engine.

Mack has Mack filters and won't be effected. Navistar is the only other major truck OEM which might stay with a Cummins branded product because of their history with Fleetrite ( Fleetguard supplied).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back