Fleet filter suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready to purchase filters for the next few months for work. One concern I have is the 5.4L Fords have the VVT noises and seem to benefit from higher flowing filters. Also the police cars are pretty hard oil and filters. Cost is a factor but I can spend a little more for a proven better product. In my price range, my choices are
1. Hastings LF110
2. Fleetguard LF3681
3. Napa Gold 1372

Any reasons for or against one of these?

My parts guy at work bought a few boxes of those Fleetguards. The small automotive applications are junky honestly. The anti drainback valves cut at the point that the filter element presses on them and sucks the inner part of the valve into the clean side. I showed them this and we promptly returned to using Wix filters on the white fleet. (Service trucks and police cars). Fleetguard Stratopore Filters are wonderful for our Cummins applications, just would not use their standard automotive filter line.

We use Wix, same as NAPA Gold. They are one in the same. Cost lines up with our budget, and have cut open a great many of them and have yet to see a failure or even anything questionable. Plus they have silicone ADBV's.

Let me throw the Fram TG2 tough guard in the mix too. It's a little harder to get but in the same price range.

Our local county government shop use NAPA Gold in all the police cars, trucks, and some heavy equipment applications. Never any oil related issues.

Originally Posted by MParr
Our local county government shop use NAPA Gold in all the police cars, trucks, and some heavy equipment applications. Never any oil related issues.

That's what we currently use too. No issues just keeping an eye out for better deals.

The XG2 Ultras can be found in the eBay 6 pack for $52.50, but I bet Wix or NAPA Golds could be found cheaper with a local parts store account. I wouldn't have any issues using the new silicone ADBV Fram PH2 for a 5K run, either.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
The XG2 Ultras can be found in the eBay 6 pack for $52.50, but I bet Wix or NAPA Golds could be found cheaper with a local parts store account. I wouldn't have any issues using the new silicone ADBV Fram PH2 for a 5K run, either.

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem with that is I'm buying from local vendors of a government account. We do get fleet pricing and buying from eBay or Amazon could go against some contract rules.

Maybe Fram can sell direct for gov't type fleet accounts and give a volume discount?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Maybe Fram can sell direct for gov't type fleet accounts and give a volume discount?

Good thought! I'll email them.

Back in 2008 I have a chance to talk to Our local police fleet they all using Mobil 5000 and motorcraft oil filter and change out every 5000 miles . On all the crowvic

Based on what I've seen from both, Wix (Napa Gold) and Hastings are very close in terms of solid construction and quality filter media. I would be comfortable using either brand.

For engines that spend a lot of time at wide open throttle, I like to use wire backed synthetic media filters. Wix XP (Napa Platinum) would be a great choice if you can justify the cost increase.

Fleetguard seems to outsource certain filters for light duty applications. For one of my vehicles, the Fleetguard cross appears to be a Champion Labs filter in disguise. The light duty filters don't get the same design and quality that goes into their medium and heavy duty filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back