Flat tappet 350

I recently just broke in a brand new 350 crate engine for my 77 C10. The engine has a flat tappet cam, I'm hoping to switch over to a full synthetic at 3,000 miles. Currently running Valvoline 10 W 30 VR1. Is there anything out there with high zddp in a full synthetic.

Hoping to stick with a 10w30. How is the Rotella 10w 30? Is it a full synthetic and what is the zddp level, does anybody know

Don't get hung up on one grade of oil. There is nothing special about 10w30.

Motorcycle oils tend to have good dose.

Use the oil psi and temp gauges to help determine what you need.

Valvoline vr1 10w30 full synthetic is available, and also the redline high performance oils have a good amount of zddp for flat tappet cams, they have the redline in 10w30 but I like 10w40 in my chevy small blocks.

I have a crate 350 in my 89 Sierra with about 20k on it now and ran VR1 or Rotella T5 both 10w30. Now I run Valvoline Advanced 5w30 due to more -30 mornings. If you don't need the 5w and want synthetic then run the VR1.

I'm convinced that a stock flat tappet doesn't need more ZDDP but I get it and why I chose Advanced at the time because it had more ZDDP than most SN oils had at the time. Now Valvoline has increase the zinc and phos in SP which I believe is a good thing.

Advanced

VR1 synthetic

Last edited:
If you really want synthetic then synthetic VR1 then. I run the regular VR1 in my beetle it does excellent. The synthetic is a lot harder to find. The regular VR1 is just fine though.

I recently just broke in a brand new 350 crate engine for my 77 C10. The engine has a flat tappet cam, I'm hoping to switch over to a full synthetic at 3,000 miles. Currently running Valvoline 10 W 30 VR1. Is there anything out there with high zddp in a full synthetic.
All those Ford 2 litre 4 bangers and Toyota camrys and Nissan have flat tappet cams - though they are OHC which is just as bad

due to high speed due to much Larger radius and all the lift is on the cam.

So a good modern oil like Valvoline Advanced should be fine. Plus it will free up more power.

So Whats the engine? Whats the Cam card ? I wold think any decent crate motor would have a roller cam
and Vortec Heads. Is this a LoPo targetmaster ?

Note: My ford/mazda 2 liter 4 banger in my Indian built Ford Ecosport likely is built more than your crate motor
and it too has solid cams.
Its pretty much a Full race smog motor High compression high horsepower. If it was a 350V8 it would be 475 HP net.

- Ken

If you have mild valve spring pressure, 10-30 oils should be fine.
Beyond that, there are ZDDP additives if you wanna play chemist, or you can buy one of the speciality oils.

If I ever pull apart one of my classic's engines, I will stab a hydrolic (spelling?) roller and be done with it.
Of course, their engines are original to the cars, so that's that.

Good luck.

Dad is running Harvest King all fleet 10w30 HDEO in his old 350 without issues. I’m waiting on my VOA results. The stuff he currently has in sump is Citgo made

I would assume that you are running a carb. Can I ask why synthetic? In carburetor vehicles I just prefer to run conventional because I end changing the oil annually and I don’t have a whole lot of miles on it. Fuel dilution is more of my concern so I just stuck with conventional and change it out annually.

I am a huge fan of Valvoline VR1, my big block impala loves it compared to penn grade. I really couldn’t recommend anything else

Back