Flashed by a U-2, not flashed by a B-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a trip with our sports car club today. Part of the route was on a road just outside Beale AFB that parallels the base perimeter.

We saw 2 U-2 aircraft at a distance, then another one came towards us maybe 1000 feet off the ground and 2000 feet to the side of the road. The woman passenger in our lead car (Corvette convert with top down) waved at the U-2 and got a white light flashed back at her. Then she waved twice and got 2 flashes back.

A couple of days ago I heard some lazy sounding old radial engines and went outside to see the rear end of a B-17 that had just passed right over my house at probably under 2,000 feet. Must have been the one flying out of McClellan Airfield that day.

Very Cool!
thumbsup2.gif

My dad flies Cesna 172's and when he flys over the house we wave and he flashes his lights at us... That's how we know it's him and not another regular aircraft.

Originally Posted By: XS650
...I heard some lazy sounding old radial engines...

I love that sound. That harmonic rumble of four radials.

yup, the sound triggers memories of the DC3 that used to fly over my house enroute to the Cape or to Boston. It stopped being used regularly about 10 yrs ago. Further back into the 50s, I used to see the last 2 blimps flying out NAS Weymouth to hunt for subs in MA Bay. Last summer, I heard the noise and it was a 4 engine job, a B17, I think.

(Corvette convert with top down)

Well if she had her top down no wonder they flashed her back, lol.

When in the Navy in mid 60s I was an aircraft engine mech. I later flew as a crew member on the P2V Neptune as the 2nd mech, Loved to crank up the two R3350s, 3 turbos each, and run them through their paces. The P2 also had two J34 turbo jets, which gave a nice boost when we needed it. That's where I first learned of the advantages of synt oil. Nothing like the sound of the radials.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Very Cool!
thumbsup2.gif

My dad flies Cesna

Apparently the craft lost a part. Squee!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: MarkC
That's pretty low for a U-2 with those big wings!

It was low. I guesstimated 5 to 10 wingspans off the ground. I was driving and just got a quick look because he was almost beside us when I saw him.

They get even lower when they land
grin2.gif

Our string of about 25 sports cars in three groups was probably the most interesting thing seen in that location for awhile, except for U-2s and Global Hawks. I don't think they fly Global Hawks low around there though.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Man, that is incredible! Just don't see U2's, especially that low everyday

Yup, I've lived 20 miles SSE of Beale AFB (their main home) and only seen one near my house in 7+ years. That was earlier this year or last year and sounded like [censored], I think he was having engine problems.

People that live near Beale see them all the time.

Yup, I've lived 20 miles SSE of Beale AFB (their main home) and only seen one near my house in 7+ years. That was earlier this year or last year and sounded like [censored], I think he was having engine problems.

It was last year. I remember checking out Beale AFB after reading your post, and not only did I see more than one (I'm pretty sure there were more) U2, but some other neat craft sitting on the tarmac.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
P&W R-2800 engine. One of the best sounding engines of any type IMO!

Cool. Thanks for the link bro!

Craziest thing I've ever seen fly out of Barksdale was a pair of F-117s. Oh, and the Shuttle being ferried back to Kennedy a couple of times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back