Flare wrenches

Originally Posted by Trav
I have these and some from Hazet, top shelf and about $110 on the door. Yes, they ship these to the USA and its 20% right off the top because you don't pay the included German tax. Only 4 left so don't overthink it.

Stahlwille ES 24/7

Edit: The larger sizes are 12 point as they should be, 6 point is useless in tight quarters. Quality 12 point fit properly and does not round out heads

Well worth the money.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Trav
I have these and some from Hazet, top shelf and about $110 on the door. Yes, they ship these to the USA and its 20% right off the top because you don't pay the included German tax. Only 4 left so don't overthink it.

Stahlwille ES 24/7

Edit: The larger sizes are 12 point as they should be, 6 point is useless in tight quarters. Quality 12 point fit properly and does not round out heads

I'd strongly advise not to get 12pt unless you have a vehicle that needs that for clearance and have a fairly low rust environment. It's begging to round off nuts that aren't in good condition. There is no amount of quality on the wrench that can overcome a problem nut because it is the nut itself that is the weak link.

Last edited:
Brake line flare nuts don't generally go above 14mm hex, Looks like 14mm & down are 6 point. The larger ones are more for hydraulics/power steering. I have some Martin 12-point slugging flare wrenches & they work great for hydraulics, power steering, & EGR pipes

I have the Snap-on set. Sometimes when I'm too lazy to get then I use the 6 point socket on a 1/4 in drive ratchet.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Brake line flare nuts don't generally go above 14mm hex, Looks like 14mm & down are 6 point. The larger ones are more for hydraulics/power steering. I have some Martin 12-point slugging flare wrenches & they work great for hydraulics, power steering, & EGR pipes

^^^This. Yes 15mm and up are the 12pt.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
I have a Matco set, which I think was around a hundred bucks and an 80's set of Craftsman (Danaher, I believe), which are very good quality.

I'm not sure how the current Craftsman line is, but my Matco's are very nice and may be in your price range.

Matco has raised heir prices drastically since you bought yours! Higher than snap on now.

Originally Posted by drtyler
The Proto flare wrenches are good quality. Metric set J3700M has 7x8, 9x11, 10x12, 13x14, 15x17.
Originally Posted by KenshinHimura
Proto is great brand for Price point and most of it being made in the USA.

I ended up buying the Proto set since they seem well-liked here (at their price point) and ~$20 more, I get (2) add'l wrenches vs the (3) I originally mentioned. I may never use all of them, but oh well....

And again, no worries on using the "right" tool. As I mentioned, I do use my 6-pt sockets (SK) on bleeders when they fit.

Back