fl820s and fl500s interchangeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked this up in many places before asking and there are tons of different opinions I'm looking at using the fl500s type filter on a 2010 5.4 f150 everything seems interchangeable threads are the same and by the baldwin website both have same bypass at 20 psi along with matching gasket size is there a reason that they wouldn't be compatible and is there anyone around here using the smaller filter on the 5.4

It looks to me like the bypass pressure is different.

Motorcraft Number FL500s
Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.09
Outer Diameter Top: 2.942
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 10-12 GPM

Motorcraft Number FL820s
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.167
Outer Diameter Top: 3.66
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 16
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Max Flow Rate: 11-13 GPM

As some aftermarket filter manufacturers have consolidated their lines, weeding out filters that essentially overlap, those are 2 they have combined.

I speak specifically of quakerstate filters (made by Purolator, basically a puro classic clone) , when I looked up their filter for my sister's Ford freestyle (duratec 3.0)(also my brothers 2 4.6 modular mustangs) the one they list (QS 173)is dimensionally a match to the FL 500s. They eliminated the old QS2, which was a match to the FL 820s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: earlyre
As some aftermarket filter manufacturers have consolidated their lines, weeding out filters that essentially overlap, those are 2 they have combined.

I speak specifically of quakerstate filters (made by Purolator, basically a puro classic clone) , when I looked up their filter for my sister's Ford freestyle (duratec 3.0)(also my brothers 2 4.6 modular mustangs) the one they list (QS 173)is dimensionally a match to the FL 500s. They eliminated the old QS2, which was a match to the FL 820s

I looked it up and that's defiantly true qs173 was specified for the 2010 5.4 I'll see what other proof I can find as well thanks for finding that

The Pennzoil quick lube filters did the same as the Quaker State ones, and spec a PZ 173 if memory serves correctly. The truck (2004 F150 with 5.4) I bought had on of these installed by the quick lube place the previous owner used. Pain to remove when all your oil filter wrenches are for the FL820s size and not the smaller ones...

As to whether its a good idea, I'd rather just use the correct filter in the application.

If Motorcraft says for your truck to use an FL820S, then use that filter. There is going to be no benefit to going with the larger FL500S.

I'd use the 500s since you have a newer truck that uses it. No use stocking two different similar filters. I'd use the correct filter if the truck isn't yours. No reason not to especially with the 820 normally cheaper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: robo339
Bypass on the fl500s has changed to 16 I believe the 8 psi was an old spec from what I have read

Any links showing the bypass setting is now 16 PSI?

I found that a long time ago and baldwins is set at 20 which wasn't far off from the fl500s and the reason is I have tons of hastings or baldwins in my shop and id rather use them and change the oil for someone vs them taking it to jiffy lube and getting ecores put on and oil maybe changed lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back