FL300 ok for 89' Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get an amazing deal on Hard Driver HD16 oil filters. These filters cross to the FL300 and the Fram PH43. Will these filters be ok on a 5.0 mustang that normally takes a Fram PH8A. I know these filters fit 94-95 mustang cobras and 85-93 ex cop mustangs because they use an oil cooler and the 8A does not fit. Again i can get these filters for like 2 bucks a piece. Any advice is apreciated.

The FL300 is a shorter version of the FL1A. Personally, I don't like to downsize filters, but there should be no problem using the shorter filter.

Some of the aplications of the 5.0 and 5.8 engine with an oil cooler use an FL820S, which is about the same size as the FL300, but very different threads.

My pickup calls for the #8 but I use the #16 because the mains knock with the bigger filter when I start it.

I figure the knocking mains are more harmfull than the small filter.

quote:

Originally posted by Chris142:
My pickup calls for the #8 but I use the #16 because the mains knock with the bigger filter when I start it.

I figure the knocking mains are more harmfull than the small filter.

Sounds like the ADBV isn't doing its' job.
That's the main reason I quit using FRAM.

quote:

Originally posted by mustang:
I can get an amazing deal on Hard Driver HD16 oil filters. These filters cross to the FL300 and the Fram PH43. Will these filters be ok on a 5.0 mustang that normally takes a Fram PH8A. I know these filters fit 94-95 mustang cobras and 85-93 ex cop mustangs because they use an oil cooler and the 8A does not fit. Again i can get these filters for like 2 bucks a piece. Any advice is apreciated.

I use the 300 on three different vehicles. Best filter around for under $4.

I am sorry to restart this thread. I have done a search on BITOG on beta ratios and am still confused on how to use this info. I have a 90 Mustang 5.0, so this particular thread is of interest to me. If the 51068(or equivalent) would be better then I would rather use it. I think it would be easier to install at least.

Sorry for the newbee question.

Moved up to the FL-300 from a Chysler Neon Filter which is small and Fl-300 is like a bigger FL-842 standard Mopar size for Jeeps and Vipers and Caravans.

That is interesting about the viper filter. Thanks for your input ewetho, but you moved up to bigger size. I would be moving down from FL-1A to FL-300 size. I was wondering about the beta numbers of the two Wix above.

I would really like to understand these beta ratios. I have searched but nothing in laymen's terms. Any help in getting it through my thick skull would be greatly appreciated.
bowdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jdm90:
I would really like to understand these beta ratios. I have searched but nothing in laymen's terms. Any help in getting it through my thick skull would be greatly appreciated.
bowdown.gif

The way wix expresses it: 2/20=13/23

the 2 means the filter removes 50% of the particles @ 13 microns and goes absolute (means gets 99.999% of particles @ 23 microns.

Hope that helped.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back