Fixed the Dishwasher AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two times in 2 years this piece of junk dishwasher has had an issue... First it was the Mainboard that needed replacement and now it was the Vent Fan module causing issues.

I should have tossed it when the main-board went a year after I bought it but I can't resist a challenge and fixed it myself at a cost of almost $200 CDN for the board.
Now this module would have been and additional $150, however I managed to fix it and put it back into service.

There is a vent plunger that is on a lever assembly and a spring normally holds it shut when the dishwasher isn't in use and during all cycles but the drying cycle. Then the control board actuates the solenoid which causes the lever to push open the vent by pushing it down to it unseals from the tub, and it also turns on a small fan in the same module to move the humid air out of the tub.

Well the problem with this design is that if you put something too tall in the upper rack at the back right corner and it actuates the vent, it pushes against this object and will cause the lever assembly inside this module to pop the return spring out of place and as such the vent won't close and the unit won't function because the optical eye sensor in the module that checks if the vent is open/closed reports the unit is still open. It then displays error code U0 on the display and ends all functions.

I discovered this when I took the module apart and saw the spring sitting on one peg but not the other. I put it back the way it should be and then played with it and figured out I could get it to pop out if I move the lever by hand and force up the sealing plunger while attempting to open it. (Think - Plunger coming down and hitting a tall cup or something and pushing up on the assembly and now there is a gap for the spring to pop out between the upper and lower pegs it sits on.

Anyway, thought I would mention it here in case it helps anyone else out.

Here is what the module looks like and the details of the part. It fits many other models not just Frigidaire / Electrolux

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Part Number: 154861101
My Dishwasher Model: Frigidaire Gallery - FGID2466QF 5A

Unfortunately I can't find a picture to show the spring and didn't think about taking pictures while I repaired it. If you look at the YouTube video preview you will see the spring though that pops out of place when the vent is force against an object below it. It's a stupid design.

Video on how to remove / replace the module:

Last edited:
I had a frigidare gallery for a while. Not cheap diswasher, but ours was poor. Never really cleaned well at all. Went with a whirlpool and now kitchen aid.

There is another user on here I'm friends with outside BITOG that has had great luck with Kitchen Aid and he has multiple kids so the thing is always running. We had a Kitchen Aid when I was a kid and the thing was a tank, made lots of noise but never broke. Might investigate that brand given these two experiences, once this thing has a problem I can't fix on the cheap.

I hate how disposable our world has become.
frown.gif

I bought a Frigidaire for my former home. It made it just past one year. I bought a Maytag to replace it. The Maytag was highly reviewed by Consumer Reports. It was a piece of junk. This Maytag was made before the Whirlpool buyout. I replaced it with a Sears Kenmore. The Kenmore was made by Whirlpool and was an excellent performer. It was still running when we sold the house, last year. Our new home has a Whirlpool and it does a good job. When it dies I will go with another Whirlpool made model or GE. FYI: Kitchen Aid and newer Maytag are made by Whirlpool.

My folks have a Kenmore dishwasher and it's from 2002. It came with the house when they purchased it in 2006. It's still in service. My dad and I replaced the foam glued on seal 2 summers ago but otherwise it has been perfectly fine.

It's too bad Sears went under.
frown.gif

StevieC
I had to replace the silverware basket on my Kenmore. The replacement part came as a Kitchen Aid part. That tells you a lot. When it comes time for you to replace your current dishwasher, you can't go wrong with a Whirlpool made unit. There are some minor differences across the Whirlpool made brands. Costs will vary quiet a bit.

I will definitely be researching the model more thoroughly that's for sure. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
My parents are regretting going Korean for their appliances - I brought back an LG dishwasher from the dead, found out there were 3 revisions to the power control module that caused these machines to catch into flames. The capacitors would fail since the noise choke coils were under-speced. Also capitalized on a Sears pricing mistake for the wiring harness that was also scorched in a few places.

Maytag used to be good - but the Neptune washing machines did them in. My parents had one and it worked for a year and then it saw no less than 3-4 Sears and Maytag techs look at it. The main control board, latch wax motor and tub bearings failed. But, physically it held up better than the Samsung that replaced it. The Sammy has better electronics, but weaker metals as the machine is now rusting. Ironically before the Whirlpool buyout of Maytag, Samsung was making some of Maytag's laundry line.

If Sears goes under, you can definitely find parts for Kenmore even outside of Amazon - there's a numbering system Sears used and the first three numbers will clue you in to who originally built said appliance. Sears used Electrolux(Frigidaire/White-Westinghouse/WCI) and Whirlpool predominantly, GE(Haier) and LG as well.

Originally Posted by nthach
My parents are regretting going Korean for their appliances - I brought back an LG dishwasher from the dead, found out there were 3 revisions to the power control module that caused these machines to catch into flames. The capacitors would fail since the noise choke coils were under-speced. Also capitalized on a Sears pricing mistake for the wiring harness that was also scorched in a few places.

Maytag used to be good - but the Neptune washing machines did them in. My parents had one and it worked for a year and then it saw no less than 3-4 Sears and Maytag techs look at it. The main control board, latch wax motor and tub bearings failed. But, physically it held up better than the Samsung that replaced it. The Sammy has better electronics, but weaker metals as the machine is now rusting. Ironically before the Whirlpool buyout of Maytag, Samsung was making some of Maytag's laundry line.

My parents former fridge and stove was LG and it was problematic under warranty and past the warranty and finally they gave up and bought new units. They are happy with their new Ikea gas stove with dual oven that replaced the LG electric range and their Whirlpool fridge that replaced the LG fridge.

If Sears goes under, you can definitely find parts for Kenmore even outside of Amazon - there's a numbering system Sears used and the first three numbers will clue you in to who originally built said appliance. Sears used Electrolux(Frigidaire/White-Westinghouse/WCI) and Whirlpool predominantly, GE(Haier) and LG as well.

They have pretty much closed all their stores here in Canada.

Originally Posted by StevieC

They have pretty much closed all their stores here in Canada.

Sears is dead. They have been dead for some time. If you still have a store open near you it won't be for much longer.

Originally Posted by StevieC

My parents former fridge and stove was LG and it was problematic under warranty and past the warranty and finally they gave up and bought new units. They are happy with their new Ikea gas stove with dual oven that replaced the LG electric range and their Whirlpool fridge that replaced the LG fridge.

I think Ikea has Whirlpool make their appliances for the US - I know Costco did have an arrangement with Whirlpool for a Kirkland Signature line of washers, dryers and refrigerators/freezers.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Sears is dead. They have been dead for some time. If you still have a store open near you it won't be for much longer.

I think the retail and auto center sides of Sears are dead - the IP(their brands like Kenmore/Craftsman/DieHard) and their service side(AE Appliance Repair) is still viable. Amazon has the rights to Kenmore or is buying them from Eddie Lampert, StanleyBlack&Decker bought out the rights to Craftmans and who knows if DieHard will also get swallowed up by Amazon or if someone in the automotive business will buy the rights to that.

Depending on who made the Kenmore appliance, parts will be available from Frigidaire, Whirlpool, GE, Samsung or LG.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I had a frigidare gallery for a while. Not cheap diswasher, but ours was poor. Never really cleaned well at all. Went with a whirlpool and now kitchen aid.

I didn't know Kitchen Aid made dish washers. How do you like the one you have? Kitchen Aid, generally speaking, tends to make excellent quality products, I would think their dish washers would be no different...

Originally Posted by grampi

I didn't know Kitchen Aid made dish washers. How do you like the one you have? Kitchen Aid, generally speaking, tends to make excellent quality products, I would think their dish washers would be no different...

Kitchenaid is Whirlpool.

And a long time ago, before I was even born KitchenAid was a part of Hobart.

We had a Hobart slicer at our restaurant and ran the thing for hours on end day after day. It was a tank and ran without issue. We also own a Kitchen Aid mixer and so does my folks. Theirs is one of the first ones when they came out with that design 20 years ago and ours is 6 years old. Works great.

Originally Posted by grampi

As others have said, its made by whirlpool, So far we like it. Quality seems good. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back