Fixed my Camry's timing chain noise...

Status
Not open for further replies.
... and this one is a bit embarrassing.

Original thread here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5041949/1

I thought I had fixed it after I replaced the tensioner, which was a bit sticky and I thought that was the problem, but apparently not) and I didn't hear any rattling after I started the engine and let it warm up, but I only had time to go for a quick drive up the street.

I didn't drive the car again for several days, but then I drove for a longer distance and the same noise came back. If I let the car cool down, the noise is either gone or very quiet until it warms all the way up again. I thought it might have something to do with thinning oil, but it remained unchanged even when running a 40 weight.

I'm getting more and more annoyed at this, and I really don't want to do a full timing job on this engine, but I where the noise is coming from the timing cover, so I don't know what else it could be.

I don't know why I didn't do this sooner before replacing the tensioner, but I decide to pull the accessory belt off, run the engine briefly, and what do you know, no noise! If I listen to it with just my ears, I remain convinced to this day that the noise was coming from the timing cover, but after poking around with a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, there is no noise at all from the timing area but the alternator is making a terrible racket. No charging issues, but the bearings must be shot. I can spin it by hand with no weird noises or grinding, but put it back on the car and run it at just above idle when warm, and it sounds terrible. Replaced it with a new Denso unit the other day and drove over 100 miles, still quiet!

It was probably never the timing chain to start with, and the sticky tensioner was probably still functioning just fine
frown.gif

Last edited:
Noises can be deceiving.

My Jeep with a 4.0 engine had a ticking sound, An engine rebuilder listened to it and said the noise was not at crankshaft speed. He thought at camshaft speed.

A few weeks latter one of the cracked piston skirts fell loose and caused catastrophic engine failure. It was at crankshaft speed. The guy made a mistake.

Glad you got it figured! I have used an IR temp gun and metal rods before to isolate sounds. The temp gun is great to shoot at pulleys as they run and the metal rod is just great as a stethoscope.

Originally Posted by Donald
Noises can be deceiving.

My Jeep with a 4.0 engine had a ticking sound, An engine rebuilder listened to it and said the noise was not at crankshaft speed. He thought at camshaft speed.

A few weeks latter one of the cracked piston skirts fell loose and caused catastrophic engine failure. It was at crankshaft speed. The guy made a mistake.

But with a power stroke every other revolution it would have only knocked when under compression and the power stroke

Not sure if this applies to your engine, we did a corolla 4 banger that had an inline filter from oil pump to VVT and cam phaser.

We change this filter: Filter Oil Control 15678-28010 do a search on you tube to where is located within the block.

Well, at least you didn't pay to have work done that you didn't need. Your time might not be free but it's probably cheaper than a shop tossing parts at a problem.

I just did an oil pan gasket on my car as I was convinced that was the source of the oil burning smell I've been having. Got an estimate (over $500) and decided I could do it myself a lot cheaper. All the work done, bit of cursing and... same smell. Although for a day I had a different smell from the engine--what true oil burning smells like as I did spill some onto the exhaust. Huh. I've been wrong all this time! Several hours spent and still at ground zero.

Originally Posted by Donald
Noises can be deceiving.

The piston slap in 4.0s usually only happens on the compression stroke when the fuel ignites. Same speed as a "lifter tick" (which I have heard on only one 4.0).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back