Fish grilling basket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you guys recommend any such baskets that work well for grilling delicate fish such as trout?

Most of the ones I've seen online seem to have long handles. Wouldn't that prevent one from being able to close the lid of the grill? Or do these handles come off?

By the way, I have a 3-burner (but fairly small) Weber gas grill. I was planning to throw some wood chips on it too, to add some smoke flavor.

Thanks!

I grill fish regularly, and have used the baskets, and don't like them because you don't get grill marks and IMO, it makes delicate fish fall apart even more. And like you said, the handles stick out under the lid.

The solution I've found to perfect grilled fish......well anything really is, to heat the grill thoroughly, and then get it as clean as possible. I use one of those grill daddy brushes that has a water chamber so it steam cleans the grates. Then use a paper towel and dip it in oil and oil the grates. Nothing will stick and as the fish cooks, it firms up perfectly.

The grill daddy is the ultimate weapon for perfect grilling.

Those are great tips Drew, thank you!

I have only used alum foil so at least I get most of the fish back in the kitchen.

I have been a chicken as far as cooking on my grill, I know I can do chicken and any type of pork or beef but I sure would like to expand a bit.

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/c...5670/index.html

I also oil the fish prior to grilling. Once you start oiling low fat items to grill, to include vegetables (I grill veggies all the time in the summer), it opens up a world of possibilities because nothing sticks. If the grill is clean and lubed up, you can grill almost anything and get good results.

I've recently learned of the bacon tip....cook some bacon on the grill before cooking your main thing to be grilled. Holy awesomeness! No sticking and you get a nice bacon flavor.

Last edited:
Small trout like Brooktrout I simply throw in a cast iron pan with oil/butter mix.

Then fry it on the weber kettle and close the lid with a few applewood chips on the fire for a quick smoke flavor.

Its a delicate fish, So dont create a ton of smoke or it will overwhelm the trout.

Thanks for the Grill Daddy brush suggestion. Just got mine and it works great.

I also grilled my first rainbow trout today. One did not stick at all. The other one stuck a little, maybe because I did not oil it enough.

What do you guys stuff the trout with? I did not put anything in it, but I've read people put it salt, pepper, butter, lemon slices, etc. Any recommendations?

I also threw some apple wood chips on the grill, but even then, it didn't have as much of a smoky flavor as the smoked trout I usually buy at a local deli.

Glad you like that grill daddy brush Pete. Just don't leave it outside in the winter - it'll crack when the water freezes.

When I grill trout I usually just season it up with salt and lemon pepper and stick a knob of butter inside the cavity when I'm about done. I think sticking some lemon slices inside the cavity would be really good. Maybe add some sprigs of thyme inside. If you have fillets of fish - trout, salmon etc., I like to use dill.

You can also make various herb butters - I like to do that. Mix softened butter with whatever herb you want; maybe use some lemon zest in it as well. I think a lemon zest/juice with thyme and dill would be really good.

That looks good! I like the technique of putting the herbs on and then letting it sit in the fridge for a few hours to marinate. I find if you put them on and immediately start cooking, they won't penetrate through and flavor the meat.

Bump. Didn't mean to completely hijack your thread Pete! Somebody has to have something good to say about fish baskets.

I was watching BBQ University yesterday and Steven Raichlen cooked trout over open coals/hickory logs using a fish basket. He made some kind of corn hash and filled the cavities with it and wrapped the fish with bacon. Looked like a winner to me!

Look on line for some of his techniques and recipes.

http://www.bbqu.net/recipes/401_2.html

from Cook's Illustrated
Recommended:

Charcoal Companion Ultimate Nonstick Fish-Grilling Basket
Model CC3036 for $25 from www.cheftools.com (item#09-0402)

A heavy-gauge metal cage treated with a black nonstick coating, this large fish-shaped basket easily accommodated a 2 1/2-pound whole striped bass as well as smaller fish, thanks to wires set less than 2 inches apart. The two pieces latched firmly together and kept the fish securely in place during turning, and the nonstick coating released the fish with the skin intact. The perpendicular removable handle, which is made of rosewood, stayed cool, felt sturdy, and allowed the cage to fit in the dishwasher.

Not Recommended:

Cuisinart Simply Grilling Nonstick Fish Fillet Basket
Onward Grill Pro Non-Stick Fish Basket
Steven Raichlen Best of Barbecue Nonstick Large Fish Grilling Basket
Outset 22-Inch Fish Basket
Grillfinity Large Fish Basket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back