first sample on reman engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
When does it make sense to pull a sample on a reman engine (2001 Jeep 4.0L) for a baseline. The engine now has 10K and about 7500 on the current PU. Test kits in hand. But I do have other things to test like the ATF and the oil in my Bobcat. So its not like I have a test kit burning a hole in my pocket to get used.

I would not do it until the second full oil and filter change.

I've had some very dirty reman motors! The results will be meaningless until the entire break in is over and the "stuff" is out of it.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I would not do it until the second full oil and filter change.

I've had some very dirty reman motors! The results will be meaningless until the entire break in is over and the "stuff" is out of it.

I have done several oil & filter changes during the initial break-in of 3K. Then PU and filter change for my normal OCI of 7500.

My company when they were doing UOA's wouldn't take a sample until 30K miles. You could sample before that but it might show higher values than a broken in engine.

I agree with all the advice for waiting to sample but it sure would have been interesting to see the results from a reman engine.

I too have seen some nasty, unclean remans. I remember some that arrived on pallets, completely open and sprayed with the most hideous cosmoline/preservative and coated with dirt. They had to be disassembled and cleaned before installation. I remember a few techs that gave them only the most cursory wipedowns and tossed them in. I didn't get paid extra to teardown and clean but I just couldn't bring myself to put an engine in like that.

Thanks for everyone's input. I saw mine taken off the truck and it was shrink wrapped.

Maybe I will just do a UOA on the transmission and see how Amsoil ATF and the Magnefine are doing. Need to pick up some tubing from HomeDepot for the sample pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back