First Oil Change

It is not necessary
Toyota tested the engines for many miles and early change will not improve its life
It has a filter on it to catch any possible debris

We knew of someone that ran the factory oil / filter for about 33,0000 miles . That car went well over 150,000 miles even after a car wreck . Ain't what they used to be .
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Those that suggest the oil filter catching everything, do have a point. But the cynic in me will say, the oil filter will only catch the wear metals if the metals do travel with the oil to the filter by the pump, instead of staying suspended in the oil pan swishing and twirling around while oil passes it.

Daughter just bought a new RAV4 hybrid a couple weeks ago, looks like the manual calls for 10k OCI but I'm considering an early first change, not sure because she's got free oil changes every 5k for 2 years so that kind of already is an early OCI. Idk, she's only got 500miles on it so I have some time. But i have the same dilemma as the OP.

Related to those 5k free oil changes, I'm surprised they do that given it specs 0w16 which I assume means it's synthetic, and why would they offer to do synthetic oil changes at half the mfr recommended OCI? Its not like they'd be putting conventional in there, although I'm not knocking conventional. The only thing I can think of is they don't want to get into a regular service vs severe service argument so they just do the severe service interval which is 5k, and be done with it.

If it were my car I'd prob do all the oil changes myself because it's more convenient plus I like bonding with my vehicles. Plus I trust myself way more than the dealer oil change guy.

Back