First Oil Change

Ex-Powertrain/Engine engineer perspective here. The major engine break in happens withing seconds and is followed by the rest in hours. Keeping the conversation short with the data we had from the dynos every engineer that got a new vehicle drove it from the dealership to home, changed the oil and filter, then did it again at 500 to 1000 miles. Just my experience with the help of a few million dollars with of dynos and testing equipment!
banana2.gif

PS the real nuts did it to their diff and trans as well... They are mechanical systems too!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rrretiree7
My son just bought a 2020 Toyota and I have heard that you should do the first oil change at 1,000 miles. Any truth to that?

This question is asked many times a month. There should be a sticky on it.

There is only ONE consensus.

It is a waste of time money and resources.

Leave it for at least 3,000 miles 6 months - or whatever the Owners Manual recommends.

The Car has an OIL FILTER that filters out any flotsam.

_____

In NYC this would likely be severe service.

I didn't know you needed a car in NYC?
smile.gif

My Niece works at 1211 News Corp for FOX news as a producer..

She is moving to Jersey and will have to take the PATH train instead of walking.

Man I would do E-lectric in NYC. Like a Smart.

Read the owner's manual and follow the maintenance schedule. Don't overthink it.

Your son spent his hard earned money on a brand new 2020 Toyota......and now you don't trust the manufacturer's advice? I can't wait to read the posts when you discover the transmission fluid change interval.......

Usually no one keeps their vehicles long enough to see the benefits of their immaculate oil changing program. It is like doing uoas on a regular basis on a car or pickup . I do the differentials and transfer cases at 1,000 to 2,000 miles there is lots of sparklies in the oil. I'll doa manual trans at that miles as well. no filter.

Last edited:
I used to when I was young and stubid.........
Now that I'm old and stubid.........no way- waste of oil and filter.
As they say here-it comes up daily.

Since the oil filter, filters out the debris wouldn't it be smarter to change the oil filter and leave the 1,000 mile oil alone if you really
think it is needed?
Just saying
smile.gif

Originally Posted by PimTac
I'd be more worried about living in NYC than I would about when to do the first oil change. Chances are the vehicle will be stolen.

There's like a million Toyotas in NYC. A lot of them are Taxis now. Nobody cares about stealing them.

The new Camry I bought years ago the dealer gave free first 1000 mile oil changes. It may be dealer advice. I would do it, no matter what stories are told about no problems, no one knows for sure. A score mark on a bearing from a chip isn't going to cause an engine to fail early but it's still a score mark, and maybe it's there and maybe it isn't. Maybe it's better because it is like an oil reservoir, and maybe it isn't there at all.

I changed oil in my new 2018 F150 3.5 Ecoboost at an early interval, & sent 3 consecutive oil samples for analysis. I had a fuel dilution issue and was monitoring that. it took about 3 oil changes before the wear metals leveled out. 1st oil change at 3900 KM or about 2400 miles, 2nd at 8000, 3rd at around 12700. The Fuel dilution has decreased, & am now changing about every 8000 km. Iron, Copper, & silicon were elevated on initial oil change

Don't manufacturers test run every engine before installing in the vehicle? And the oil used during the test run is changed out with fresh oil?
I've never owned a new car and probably never will, and I'm happy with that. But if I bought a truly brand-new vehicle, I would change the factory oil at about 15-20% of the scheduled maintenance, around 1000-1500 miles. Then go to the recommended service interval based on my usage (3750 or 5000 or 7500 or 10k or whatever) and continue doing so.

Originally Posted by e30m3pilot
Ex-Powertrain/Engine engineer perspective here. The major engine break in happens withing seconds and is followed by the rest in hours. Keeping the conversation short with the data we had from the dynos every engineer that got a new vehicle drove it from the dealership to home, changed the oil and filter, then did it again at 500 to 1000 miles. Just my experience with the help of a few million dollars with of dynos and testing equipment!
banana2.gif

PS the real nuts did it to their diff and trans as well... They are mechanical systems too!

Curious how the "data from dyno" tests determined that early oil changes were needed or required?

Yeah ... it's hard for me to imagine "break in" without liberating metal into the oil system ... I did 500 and will probably do another at 5k to get on that roll. $50k vehicle and a $15 jug

Originally Posted by CT8
Usually no one keeps their vehicles long enough to see the benefits of their immaculate oil changing program. It is like doing uoas on a regular basis on a car or pickup . I do the differentials and transfer cases at 1,000 to 2,000 miles there is lots of sparklies in the oil. I'll doa manual trans at that miles as well. no filter.

A lot of people do keep their vehicles for years or decades. I'm one and I know several of my collector buddies that do. Not to mention family/friends that aren't collectors that do.

Originally Posted by CT8

We have owned the 96 Crown Victoria now at least for 14 years now. Originally bought at a police auction with 60,000 miles. Currently there are 360,000 miles on the original motor and transmission. PLUS we used the dreaded, oil filter Motorcraft FL-820S of all of BITOG that some people are obsessed to find faults in.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by CT8

A lot of people do keep their vehicles for years or decades. I'm one and I know several of my collector buddies that do. Not to mention family/friends that aren't collectors that do.

No kidding. My Mustang GT is 18 years old. Truck is 9. Both are in immaculate condition, paid for, and offer low cost transportation with minimal maintenance costs. Even an expensive repair (covered by an emergency fund specifically for vehicles) or similar, is far, far less expensive than turning over a new vehicle every few years. LOTS of folks amortize the cost of a new vehicle over the span of 10 years or more. It's often a very cost-effective method of ownership.

Originally Posted by BLND1
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by CT8

No kidding. My Mustang GT is 18 years old. Truck is 9. Both are in immaculate condition, paid for, and offer low cost transportation with minimal maintenance costs. Even an expensive repair (covered by an emergency fund specifically for vehicles) or similar, is far, far less expensive than turning over a new vehicle every few years. LOTS of folks amortize the cost of a new vehicle over the span of 10 years or more. It's often a very cost-effective method of ownership.

You reminded me that I have a 1987 Mustang sitting in the garage with around 60,000 miles
wink.gif

I keep my cars 10 years but still don't change the oil early. No correlation to longevity.

Well in a way the Corvette Owner's Manual did say change at 1,000 mi.

1. 1,000 mi before track use.
2. Change to 15W-50 Grade before track use.

I don't go the whole interval on the FF, but I don't go crazy with it, either.

With the Tacoma in my signature, which I bought new 13 years ago this month, I did the first oil/filter change at 3000 miles. Mobil 1 went in, and ive always used some type of M1 since. No oil usage between changes.

Back