First oil change on a new Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for opinions and I know that there is no shortage of those around here.
grin.gif

I bought my new Tacoma last month and I drove it kinda hard for the first 400 miles with lots of engine braking down hills in Vermont. THEN I drove it 1500 miles to my home in Florida. The first scheduled oil change is at 5000 miles and I usually do it early but since my last new Toyota pickup lasted 335k before I sold it, I am thinking about just following the recommended oci schedule.

Thoughts?

2015-07-20%2022.08.46-XL.jpg

2015-07-20%2022.09.51-XL.jpg

Personally, I would just wait until 5K, but you will never get a consensus on this here on BITOG.

Nice looking truck. Congrats!

I feel you can't go wrong using the factory recommended OCI but, if you do earlier, then not before 2,500 miles. You want to keep any additives or assembly lubes in the engine to protect while burnishing new parts. JMO. Nice truck. Ed

Thought? Yes. This topic has been beaten over the head rather recently. I changed the oil in my new Frontier at 1k, 4k and will continue at 5k intervals. Will it reduce wear? Probably. Will I see the benefit of that? It's probably lost in the noise of all the other factory affecting engine life.

My 06 Tacoma has the same engine as yours. It now has just over 200,000 miles and dosen't burn a drop of oil (I know, it irritates one or two on here to hear that. I'm sure you will get over it.) I drove it pretty hard in the first few miles and didn't change it till 5000 miles. Everything worked out great.
By the way, the OEM Toyota oil filters for that truck are excellent quality and affordable from the dealer.
Nice truck, enjoy!

Do the engine oil now then the diffs, trans and transfer case at 5,000 miles.Or not.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Do the engine oil now then the diffs, trans and transfer case at 5,000 miles.Or not.

Or not.
wink.gif

Thanks guys, I knew you wouldn't disappoint.

Seriously though, I was leaning towards just following the scheduled intervals but I have not given a thought to the running gear below.

Check out the magnetic drain plugs from my Frontier gearboxes at 7510 miles. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3812914/2015_Nissan_Frontier,_Rear_axl#Post3812914

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Check out the magnetic drain plugs from my Frontier gearboxes at 7510 miles. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3812914/2015_Nissan_Frontier,_Rear_axl#Post3812914

Thanks for sharing, those are definitely worth noting.
thumbsup2.gif

6jZfcbyofXZAhO2tTCv0TrRTdLJSdRvsaFD0xuh0ppaKTX3zpPkXJiVwSWjmQPpHKIVLQWrJ%3Dw1332-h514.jpg

JAj1GMbDMamLrb0H39OO_0chtXMWPXF4kF_yzVSFvcj0bMhUAnVLvqkE5aCvPWghBN6d-l2O%3Dw1332-h514.jpg

It's a Tacoma. It will last longer than you care to drive it given approximately by the book care. Or maybe it will outlive you altogether.

Sooo....concentrate on the cosmetics. That's really what takes people out of these cars.

I'm a fan of doing the first change early, so that gets my vote. But the reality is, the vehicle is going to keep going and going regardless of if you do the first change early or not.

I assume that has an annoying skid plate you have to take off each time like my Tundra? I'm tempted to leave it off like many other people do without issue..

Originally Posted By: jdavis
I assume that has an annoying skid plate you have to take off each time like my Tundra? I'm tempted to leave it off like many other people do without issue..

The 2nd gen Tacomas like the OP's do not have a skid plate covering the drain plug. It is super easy to change it. The filter is up top under the hood too. It has a built in funnel that catches any oil from your filter and drains it to any disposable container you like. It doesn't get much easier.

Originally Posted By: Branson304
Just change at 5,000 & follow the recommended schedule. Your truck will be good to go for many, many years and miles.

Well this seems to be the consensus and I was leaning that way before anyway so PYB 5w-30 at 5000 miles it is, thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back