First impressions of AutoRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 94 Mazda MX6 V6 has 70K miles and has always been fed M1 5w30. These engines are prone to clatter from hydraulic lash adjusters. People say that you should try this oil or that weight and it will stop the constant tic tic tic. I thought the frequent (3mo or 3K miles) oil and filter changes would clean everything up but no luck.
This week I had my timing belt/water pump/tensioner/bearings replaced and MUCH of the clatter disappeared. Today I started my AutoRX engine cleaning. Believe it or not, after only about 50 miles, there is no more tic tic tic. I hope I am not jinxing anything, but this is truly unbelievable. I have 3 more vehicles to tend to with AutoRX that are not making noise and dont leak, but 2 have over 110K miles and are probably ready for a good cleaning from the inside out. I hope to acheive some improvement in the fuel efficiency category. I'm happy enough that the HLA's have been silenced to call my experience successful.
worshippy.gif

Unfortunately my mom's 94 Probe GT still has slightly noisy HLAs even after using Auto-rx. But I probably didn't use it long enough and I did it with Mobil 1 SuperSyn too, which probably wasn't the best oil for an Auto-rx cleaning either.

Need 1500 miles of just cleaning with Auto-Rx if
using synthetic or semi synthetic oil and you must rinse with non synthetic oil. Now go back to synthetic and use maintenance amount of Auto-Rx with each oil change.

Patman try this put 3 ounces of Auto-Rx in your mom's engine and just let it run till next oil change. Use non synthetic at this point for 2000
mile rinse.Than go back to synthetic and let me know how things are doing .

quote:

Originally posted by Frank:

Patman try this put 3 ounces of Auto-Rx in your mom's engine and just let it run till next oil change. Use non synthetic at this point for 2000
mile rinse.Than go back to synthetic and let me know how things are doing .

Unfortunately, I just bought the oil for her next oil change and will be putting in a full synthetic. Besides, a 2000 mile rinse would take her about 30 weeks to finish.

I bet a large amount of lifter problems will never be cured by Auto RX, many become damaged to the point that they need replacing @ least I think that's the story with my truck. Also with some engines it's a design flaw with not enough oiling to the engines top end, so ARX or not you'll get some ticking
smile.gif
. I had a few engines that ticked mostly OHC 4's.

quote:

Originally posted by Scali62:
-*-* I had a few engines that ticked mostly OHC 4's.

My Tacoma has always ticked, real loud. The only think that makes it quieter is Moly... the think that makes it real quiet is 800ppm of moly, and the only thing that makes it ALMOST totally vanish is 1500PPM of MOLY...
I have been told the Toyota trucks are made this way, I donno if this is just hype, but hey, they last a good ways in most cases...

Now that I think about it some more, I really don't think my mom's slightly noisy valvetrain is due to it being dirty anyways, since it's had a steady diet of Mobil 1 for almost it's entire life, and rarely went more than 5k between changes. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Mobil 1, I do know it's ability to keep engines clean is top notch.

Robbie, thanks for the tip on moly.
What do you do the supplement the oil with moly, is there a moly additive I can buy or can you suggest an oil brand that has enough moly in it to do the job ? I have to cocktail Marval mystery oil now to keep her quiet & would prefer to try another way that may be better for the engine .
thanks, Alan
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Now that I think about it some more, I really don't think my mom's slightly noisy valvetrain is due to it being dirty anyways, since it's had a steady diet of Mobil 1 for almost it's entire life, and rarely went more than 5k between changes. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Mobil 1, I do know it's ability to keep engines clean is top notch.

I dont know if the brown coloring seen thru my oil fill port that I can move with a pencil eraser is "clean" or not. It would seem that this is what accumulates and becomes sludge, no? This is what I see in my car that has been running M1 for the last 10 years.
confused.gif

Robbie wich engine do you have in your Tacoma. If it is the 2.7 you might need to replace one of the timeing belt tensioners. The main tensior will allow the chain to make a ticing like noise that sounds like valve train tic! I first thought that my Dads valves needed to be adjusted and I was ready to start ordering shims. I checked them and the valves were perfect. Closer examination revealed the noise comeing from timeing cover area. So while we were in their at 120,000 miles we replaced the sprocets, chains, the main tensioner, guides...... TO date his has been run on mostly M1 15W50 in warm months and 10W30 dureing winter. I can count on one hand the number of times he used another brand of synthetic due to cost. A few times he did not even bother to change the weight of oil. To this day in spite of these few indiscretions his valves are still in spec. I think he might be needing a valve adjustment real soon though.

P.S. He drives his truck like he just stole it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back